2 way switch from mains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2 way switch from a socket 3 pin plug. wire comes from 3 pin plug to switch and another wire come from light socket. I ganged both brown and blue together and placed them at poler ends of the switch. But fuse box cut out. Any ideas?

Kev :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
tha wot?

"socket 3 pin plug" <<2 devices there. which is it?

"3 pin plug" <<these contain 13A fuses and have flex connected to them, usually used for powering portable appliances.

"socket" <<wired into the mains, usually in a "ring main" fashion. convenient place for inserting 13A 3 pin plugs.

"light socket" :eek: :eek: ¿QUE?

anyway, its obvious what you have done is blatantly wrong despite the bent description. YOU ARE SHORTING LIVE AND NEUTRAL ACROSS THE SWITCH! FFS! how do you expect it to work!!! think about what you are doing!!!!!! What did you think would happen when you connect live and neutral DIRECTLY TOGETHER???

"polar ends of the switch" ¿ehhhh?

If you cant figure it out, PLEASE get an electrician. Think back to school and what a simple switch actually does.

klee63 said:
I have a 2 way switch from a socket 3 pin plug. wire comes from 3 pin plug to switch and another wire come from light socket. I ganged both brown and blue together and placed them at poler ends of the switch. But fuse box cut out. Any ideas?

Kev :rolleyes:

I think he means he has a 2 way switch connected to a socket via a plug top.

The flex from the plug top goes to the 2 way switch, then on to the ceiling rose/ batten lampholder.

So he has put both the brown from the mains and the brown from the lampholder to one side of the switch, and the two blues to the other.

So, Crafty is right. You have effectively shorted the two phases together on operating the switch.

You need to link the two neutrals with a connector block. link the two earths in the earth terminal in the switch box, then put the live feed in the common, and the switchwire in L1.

However, I find it odd you have a set-up using flex, plug tops and fixed switches. What are you trying to achieve?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back