how to drill out a lock?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a upvc door that has a lock without a key. I would like to replace the lock, but I think a key is needed to remove the existing one. As I don't have a key I will have to try getting it out by other means. If I wanted to drill the lock out...firstly
1) where should I drill and with what kind of bit? (should i go through the actual keyhole?)
2) is it possible to drill out locks, and will drilling it actually allow me to remove it? (UPVC locks are a bit of an unknown quanity to me, can't figure out hows its held in place.)

any advice would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
If UPVC is a mystery to you, then you stand to do more damage than good if let loose with a drill. Leave it to someone who does know what they are doing (should take no longer then 5 minutes to remove and replace).

I take it you can open the door, if so look at the face plate on the end of the door, level withe the keyhole you will see a screwhead undo that and if you are lucky and the handle locking bar is in line with the opening, then the lock will just slide out. If you are unlucky then you could have a go at just drilling the whole thing out (keyhole basically the bottom bit is where all the action is)and then lining the locking bar up, I must admit however I have only ever had limited success drilling locks.

There is a very specific way to drill a cylinder, which is you get wrong will turn into a dogs dinner with ruined lock body and broken drill bits. Unfortunately no one with that knowledge would share in a chat room. Call a lock smith. It will take him 5 mins.

Sponsored Links
I do no how to drill cylinders succesfully but im not sure its responsable to broadcast it on a public forum :confused: any opinions on this dilemma anyone????????

I find there isn't much money in mugging old ladies and am interested in moving up to housebreaking. I've got a rechargeable drill that I shoplifted from Wickes, so please explain.

HandyHands said:
First thing you need to do is ditch your Wickes drill and buy one with a bit of grunt behind it ;)

"buy?"

My mates tell me I can get one out of the back of a white van outside the pub if U brick the back window.

While I see that advice on how to drill a lock may be open to abuse by certain unscrupulous parties, I assumed that the DIYers who populate this forum were, generally speaking, an honest bunch. Let's just assume if novice burglars were looking to expand their knowledge base, they would most likely be better places to look than DIYnot. I am informed there are all sorts of websites out there with information on how to do wrong. Perish the thought!
(I think I'll not post the question 'which is the best fertilizer?' as today’s burglar is probably tomorrows terrorist.)

seneca said:
... I assumed that the DIYers who populate this forum were, generally speaking, an honest bunch....

All except me :evil:

JohnD said:
HandyHands said:
First thing you need to do is ditch your Wickes drill and buy one with a bit of grunt behind it ;)

"buy?"

My mates tell me I can get one out of the back of a white van outside the pub if U brick the back window.

Anyone using a Wickes drill deserves to get it nicked by JohnD. We aught to have a poll on brands used, then send JohnD around to resolve the matter.

Whilst I'm sure the majority of people on here are honest, there will be a few who stumble across the site and it's content - more than likely whilst googling. Yes the information is available if you search for it - but lets not make it any easier for them.

I like the idea of a would-be burglar googling 'drilling locks' to brush up on his technique and stumbling across DIYnot. I'm sure he'll reconsider his proposed life of crime and get back on the straight and narrow.

"I was going to turn over that pensioner's house, but I've just learnt about this new tool for removing old grouting.... I'm of to spend a productive afternoon getting some much needed jobs around the house done."

I'll drop a quick email to Charles Clarke about a revolutionary method of rehabilitating criminals and stopping people getting into a life of crime....DIY. But then again, he's got enough on his plate at this moment.

Bit of difference between a lock you'd find on a football table, and one you'd find on a door. Taking your expert advice - someone is likely to face an expensive call out.

Getting the lock out is easy, use the aforementioned fertilizer, or if your not sure how to use it, try some C4.

It works wonders on stuck stuff - its no longer stuck.

But then its no longer stuff any more either :D

Try www.howtoblowupdoors.com :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back