Problem with Potterton SuPrima 50 cutting out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

I was wondering if anyone knows what’s wrong with my Potteron Suprime 50 central heating boiler.
Everything’s been working fine with it for several years, but I recently bled the radiators (there was a lot of air in the rads upstairs) & the boiler started acting up.
My problem is this: The boiler seems to be working fine, it lights the gas it turns off & comes back on when needed. But it has now started to cutoff for no apparent reason. eg. A put the heating on & the boiler starts - fan starts inside, green light flashes slowly & the v.quickly which ignites the gas. Boiler operates fine for about 20 secs or so but then suddenly the flames go out & the boiler cutsout (as if it’s reached its correct temperature). It then immediately goes & restarts - fans starts, green light flashes - gas ignites. If this happens three times in a row the boiler shuts it self down & the red light flashes which requires a reset. However sometimes the boiler will work fine for hours without this problem - but its get worse & most of the time the boiler doesn’t stop on for more the 3 minutes without having to reset it.

Can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
Do a search on this forum on suprima boilers you will find a very common problem relating to the pcb (you are lucky yours has lasted so long) The board is about £150 plus fitting etc or alternatively put system on b.g. homecare for £22 per month for a year then pay £16 per month thereafter

Thanks, there does seem to be a bit of a problem with the Potterton Suprima PCBs according to the forum.

Will B.G HomeCare 200 @ £16 PM {Looks after your whole central heating system including your boiler, radiators, controls and hot water} cover me for a PCB replacement? Theres no point in joining them if i have to pay them monthly then again for the replacement PCB. Where did you get £22 PM - the four options are £10, £16, £20.75 & £24.25 for everything.

You could call potterton out on 08706 096096 and pay £250 which would include all repairs neccesary to your boiler and system i.e pump 2port valve and get a years warranty on the whole system as well :D

Sponsored Links
I think i should get commision what do you reckon
How about promotion instead theres a vacant F.S.M job up for grabs in west london :confused:

Does it have a red high tension lead ?

That could also be responsible for a flame sensing problem

Geoff ( Raden ) is probably right.

They changed the type of HT lead at some stage because they were giving so much trouble. Some of them had a high resistance carbon filiament conductor with a resistance of about 12K to reduce RF interference but they were prone to burning out the carbon content where they were crimped at each end.

As the replacement is only about £12 it might be worth getting that replaced and see if that cures it.

Problem is that the replacement should be done by a CORGI reg person as it involves opening the combustion chamber.

Might be a faulty air flow sensing system though. Thats easy to check if you know how.

Tony

cmberry20 said:
Thanks, there does seem to be a bit of a problem with the Potterton Suprima PCBs according to the forum.

Will B.G HomeCare 200 @ £16 PM {Looks after your whole central heating system including your boiler, radiators, controls and hot water} cover me for a PCB replacement? Theres no point in joining them if i have to pay them monthly then again for the replacement PCB. Where did you get £22 PM - the four options are £10, £16, £20.75 & £24.25 for everything.

No it shouldn't do as you have an existing fault, they will charge 132.00 on top of the contract price you choose and split it across the year....or of course if you just want a one off repair just the 132.00

And why are you guys not applying for these FSM posts?

Agile said:
And why are you guys not applying for these FSM posts?

I would rather be out in the field getting my hands dirty instead of being a pen pusher taking *******ings from those above over performance figures :cry:

Gaz sorry to hear about your F.S.M saga ( the GUV will be missed) :LOL:

Well, i finally solved my problem.

After much head scratching & inspecting of the PCB i couldn’t work out what was wrong & came to the conclusion that the PCB must be faulty.

So i was standing in front of the boiler watching it turn on & off literally about to give up, when i noticed that the red wire connected to the spade connector on the igniter was giving off a very small spark at the joint. So i waggled the wire to get a better connection & the boiler started to work fine. Been testing it for 24 hours & its not failed once.

So there you have it, not a £150 PCB but a 10p connector & wire. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back