Baxi WM 55/3 heat exchanger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a problem with a drip appearing to come from the joint between to two parts of the heat exchanger on my 55/3. It doesn't leak when cold with pump running. It drips after boiler fired up for about 5 mins - about 1 drip every 30 seconds or so. After about 20 mins the drip stops and doesn't return whilst the boiler is running. Question: should I a) attempt to re-gasket the joint between the two halves; b) replace the heat exchanger with a new one; or c) put up with it as it is? Option d is not favourite :( (replace boiler ££££); I note a wide price range quoted on internet for replacement. Around £300 from MJT, £145 from Boilerpart.com. Any comments?
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
It may be because the top and bottom used to be available seperately but are now only supplied as a complete unit.

I dont remember how the two halves are held together. Presumably with bolts? Have you tried tightening them a little when cold?

Be aware that drips of water on to the burner is classed as Immediately Dangerous for a CORGI registered person and the correct procedure is to disconnect the boiler, stick warning labels on it and cap off the gas supply and then issue a Warning Notice to the responsible person!

A DIYer does not have these Laws to comply with and can continue to risk his safety!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Re-gasket it required.

Unfortunately, a CORGI man will need to do this work as the flueing is comprimised.

£200 - £300 job unfortunately and as much as I love these jobs, your too far away. Unless you can bribe me with hard cash?

In Bath........gotta add on me 20 quid petrol.

David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back