Cavity trays

Evo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ! could anybody shed a little light please ?
i'm about to take on an attached garage build and was looking through the drawings, and wondered if there was another way to join the roof to the existing gable end of my house other than cutting out what seems to be a huge amount of brickwork to install cavity trays would well cut in lead flashing not suffice ? also plans say to make existing cavity continuous to new, is it all really necessary or am i missing something ?
( No snide comments please ) :confused:

Sponsored Links
I guess the answer to that be no !
any good links to the process involved ?
I can attach a few pics if it would help.

Bore Da Evo. Being a brickie I can speak from experience, its a pain in the a*** putting in cavity trays when doing a new build, never mind cutting out bricks and fitting them. If you have never done this before, be prepared for hard work!
Hard to explain how to do them, put a "dummy truss" where the roof is going, to get the angle right. Normally nearest edge of tray to roof is 75mm above finished roof height, also a closed tray with a weep hole is in the bottom to let any water out.

Sponsored Links
Iechyd da tawelfryn !
guess i was being optimistic looking for an easy route, the dummy truss thing makes a lot of sense , dont suppose it would make too much difference if i waited for the build to get to height and fix the first truss as it only a single story, and the roofer is a mate, so he'll put up with me a little bit. i was also wondering how much leeway i would have with regards to material also, as the rear of garage is stated on drawing as face brick but is hardly accesible so wont be seen, could i use block with render finish or would it mean ammendments ? on the subject of cutting out bricks though , is there any tool for the job, or is it just cutter and chisel ?

the rear of garage is stated on drawing as face brick but is hardly accesible so wont be seen, could i use block with render finish or would it mean ammendments ?

I would check with building control, sometimes they are funny when they want new builds to "match in" with existing surroundings. Makes sense to do block if its not being seen, but if its not accessible, think of the poor old spread that has to get in there to do it! Thats the good thing with face brickwork, can be done overhand on non accessible projects, and then its done! No other finish required.

on the subject of cutting out bricks though , is there any tool for the job, or is it just cutter and chisel ?

Its cutter and chisel unfortunately my friend :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back