Connecting a loo to a cast iron soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing a loo and have stripped back boxing etc to find a cast iron soil pipe. The previous loo was joined to the pipe by a lead pipe which has been cemented into a T-joint in the soil pipe. I am OK with the placement of the T-joint, but am wondering:

1) How I should remove the old pipe that is cemented in

2) What bits should I buy to fit the new loo to the pipe

3) Will I need to cement it in

Thanks in anticipation

Sponsored Links
CORRECTION

I have read on the forum abouy a technique called caulking which is where the pipe is held in the soil by a lead ring.

I shouls have also mentioned that the pipe goes into a cast-iron flange/collar arrangement

On closer inspection it is lead not cement (was covered in cement though).

I have read that you need to heat the collar to melt the lead and remove the pipe.

And advice appreciated.

Thanks

I'd be getting someone in.
Some jobs are just not DIY and this is one of them.

OK you are going to join to a LEAD pipe :idea: .then measure it`s I.D int. dia. ;) and find a suitable connector from www. multikwik.com

Sponsored Links
Thanks Nige

The pipe from the old loo to the cast iron soil pipe is lead. I want to remove that pipe and insert a plastic one probably using the connector you suggest.

The problem is that the lead pipe is caulked into a cast iron collar that comes out of the waste pipe.

I guess one option is to cut the lead pipe at the collar. The outer diameter of the lead pipe diameter is 3.5" and I think that if I leave the lead in place that I would need to insert a narror pipe into what's left behind.

The other option is to find some type of adaptor that I can put over the collar itself (this has an outer diameter of about 6" at the ends and 5" in the middle). This would mean that waste would collect around the collar and would be rather unpleasant should it be necessary to disconnect at some future date.

I know I'm being cheeky, but would you like me to email a picture so that you can see what I mean? If so let me have an email address.

Many thanks for your help

You can send me a pic ;) address in profile.........or post one for all to see :idea: Worth a thousand words................I`m guessing the lead would be wiped to a brass thimble which is then caulked in ;) so you may be able to join to the brass @ a reduced dia. Be interested to see the pics.

I fitted a multiquick pan connector into a lead soil pipe last week, worked a treat.

I have emailed the picture to Nige F.
Would have liked to put it in the forum but don't know how.

Save the pic in "photobucket" or other then copy and paste the IMG tags on here.

Thanks for that. Here goes...

IMG]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g24/antharrison/antharrison.jpg[/IMG]

Try again....

antharrison.jpg
[/img]

Cut the lead off flush with the castiron and insert a Multiwik type adapter. Measure the inside dia and buy the right size for the job.

If you type Multiwik into google you should find the complete range

Thanks for that.

I am concerned about the reduced diameter of the pipe - would it be better to cut flush with the left-hand-side of the cast iron collar?

I have a reciprocating saw with a metal cutting blade.

You could - (or an angle grinder with a mess of dust) but doesn't look an easy spot (&the CI can occasionally crack.)
If you cut the lead off flush you could drill/prise the lead out.

I've tried your suggestion and cut the lead pipe flush with the cast iron collar. Ther internal diameter is about 8.5 com - and guess what it's not exactly round. It appears that the packing between the lead and the inside of the collar has compressed some areas of the pipe.

Will the multikwik adapter be OK for this?

Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back