worcester bosch 35cdi combi

Most WB engineers hate recalls as well. It's not only a self pride thing but it seriously affects our monthly bonus as well. You would be suprised how little recalls we were allowed before it affects bonus.

Sponsored Links
Yes I am sure that is the case, it's a quality product suported by a quality team.

I'm not sure I understand the many insurance style deals springing up who offer boiler cover. Judging by how problematic central heating systems are these days forced upon the industry by the inaudinate number of electronic control systems and micro hydraulic passageways heralded by size and weight constraints (market driven by the modern households lack of correct weighting to the importance of the main heating source, favouring home makeovers instead) now required. They must be aon al looser if they have guys like that going round parts swapping only what is essential to get it to light again.

I have gathered a fair bit about those arrangements because we have done a few one off calls for those companies and we have been to a few cases where the customer was not satisfied with the diagnosis.

Firstly the number of companies who arrange the work is quite small, e.g. Maintenance Ltd might get the calls done for Powergen, Scottish Power, Home Call and lots of scheme providers.

The maint co has approved contractors who have agreed to do fixed price repairs at any time of day and some for a fixed sum which includes parts ( about £90 ).

The staff who attend are usually expected to do first line repairs to get it going, there are a whole list of exclusions and many of them try to attribute most faults to exclusions like sludge so that they can offer, often "on the side" to do the chargeable work.

Some of the misdiagnosed faults I have seen imply the staff are pretty unskilled or perhaps simply dishonest. Often the standard "you need a new boiler" comes out followed by a "bargain price" to fit one.

One of the worst cases of slapdash work I have seen was from BG where the pump impeller had collapsed and the bolt and washer had dropped back inside the pipework. The first one replaced the pump without looking for the missing bits. The next guy just said "you've got some foreign matter in the system, it will need to be power flushed for £500".

Tony

Thanks for the many replies, don't think it is a problem with the shower mixer as all of the hot taps produce water that is far to hot which triggers the burner to shut off temporarily making the water run cold before reigniting.
The heating side of the system is working normally.
Can someone confirm if the 35cdi can be set so that the water runs at a constant temperature of say 40c as the temperature didn't fluctuate before this problem began.
There are two heat exchangers on this boiler is it likely to be the primary heat exchanger or the domestic hot water heat exchanger?.
Just to reiterate, i am still getting 15 litres a minute flow which i believe is correct rate for the boiler it doesn't appear to have slowed down at all.
Ray H.

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks for all the help, i'll post an update when the worcester bosch technician has been out
Ray H.

If you're getting 15 litres per minute AND it's too hot, there must be a sensor, wiring or PCB problem. ANY blockage (on either side of the secondary HX) would not allow enough heat into the hot water to make it too hot (60+ degrees) at that flow-rate.

As an update on this problem, a worcester bosch engineer has again looked at the boiler and deduced that there were two faults, firstly on the gas valve there is a maximum and minimum adjustment, the minimum was not calibrated at all so it was not able to modulate the burner according to heat requirements just full flame. and secondly the domestic hot water heat exchanger was slightly chalked up, he also said that if i were to have any more problems with it they would almost certainly have to change the primary heat exchanger.
It seems to be working ok apart from the pump was making an awful noise which he said was cavitation i have put in sentinel x100 and x200 which seems to have made it quiter. Quite why it started making that noise i have no idea, perhaps someone could tell me,

thanks again for all your help and comments on this.
Ray H.

Cavitation in a heating pump is a new one on me. It's a sort of boiling though, so you would expect it to be reduced with increased system water pressure. Was that the case? ie was it worse when the pressure dropped? (Happens mostly in shower pumps when the water's over about 62º.
X200 increases the boiling point of water so would be expected to help.

ChrisR sorry away yesterday, if i turn the hot water tap on but turn it off before the burner has actually fired up the pump runs for 4 minutes on the overun, so i don't see how the water can be hot when the boiler hasn't had the chance to heat any water i give this as an example if i run the hot tap for five minutes the result is the same a dry sounding noise that the engineer says is cavitation this pump has been changed twice already, to be fair he did say it could possibly be foreign matter in the system which i can't see being the problem either. It is better with the sentinel in but still seems really noisy
Thanks for your replies
Ray h.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back