Consumer Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Brought new property and have completely rewired, new ring main etc back to new CU. Upgraded the earth to incoming to 16mm and bonded all kitchen and bathroom and incoming gas supplies.

So now the bit I hate, changing the tails from meter to CU. Is there any other way of doing this rather than doing it live?

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Get an electrician. They will be able to legally isolate the the tails. There is no way you can legally isolate the supply yourself. Also have you remembered to notify your LABC of all the work you have carried out?

Rob

Have notified LABC of changes and all work has been checked along each stage by an electrician.

The electrician i am using is working on two other properties in the street and the deal was I did the work and he checked it. In return I am doing some metal work for him. But that is by the by. I assume from your comment that the meter has a fuse in it. Does this mean he could remove fuse for me, I can change the tails and then he can reconnect later for me or does he have to do it all for me. He has been good to me so far so I am trying not to inconvienience him too much.

When you say changing the tails from meter to cu will this involve breaking the seal on the meter? THAT could very likely see you in court!
If you mean swapping the tails from old cu to new cu, then you really need to get your supplier to arrange to pull main fuse and then reseal.
Your main supplier will probably refer you to seimens who will say it's edf territory who will say they need written notification and round and round we go!

Sponsored Links
RF Lighting said:
Get an electrician. They will be able to legally isolate the the tails. There is no way you can legally isolate the supply yourself. Also have you remembered to notify your LABC of all the work you have carried out?

Rob
no. An electrician pulling the main fuse is no more legal than a homeowner pulling the fuse, though the electrician will probably not kill himself in the process ;)

And FAO tally, the meter doesn't have a fuse in it. Near the meter there will be a black box where the electric enters your home. This has a fuse on it, it will be marked 60, 80 or 100A and should have 2 metal rings, top and bottom. This is where your electrician will isolate the electric. Legally, nobody except the electric co. is allowed to cut those metal seals to get the fuse out, but your electrician can do it without killing himself - its risky stuff. :eek:

The company I work for has been issued a certificate by YEDL (our REC)
YEDL also supply us with tempory plastic seals. This allows us to cut their seals, then when the work is completed we reseal with the tempory plastic seals, we then contact YEDL who come along and properly reseal the cutout / meter.

Rob

RF Lighting said:
The company I work for has been issued a certificate by YEDL (our REC)
YEDL also supply us with tempory plastic seals. This allows us to cut their seals, then when the work is completed we reseal with the tempory plastic seals, we then contact YEDL who come along and properly reseal the cutout / meter.

Rob
well i'll be . . !!

Not heard of this one before. Guess they got fed up of finding fuses unsealed eh?

Those pesky fuse fairies!

Who did that? Not me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back