Neighbour's flue sounds like jet engine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour has a a 6 year old Keston boiler and the noise from the flue is unbelievable. It sounds like a jet engine. I've been round to complain but been told repeatedly there's nothing that can be done. I suspect money may be an issue for him so I'm willing to pay for a solution. I would be really grateful for any suggestions as to what could be done - short of paying for a new boiler! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Keston's aren't normally that noisy, so there's probably something seriously wrong. It could be that the boiler will self-destruct before long, which will at least solve your problem.

The deciding factor is the actual noise level measured in dBA.

I suspect that you are one of, how can I say this in a way that will not upset you? , the retired older persons who have little in your life to really occupy you.

The real noise level is probably actually quite low. The situation is perhaps that you live in a low ambient noise level area and its the main thing that you hear.

I would guess that you do not listen to music on radio or watch 99 satellite channel TV on a 52" High Defination flat screen display until the early hours or have an iPod or any other modern trapping which many of us have. I also suspect that its weeks since you ever went out to the cinema, pub, disco ( now called club! ) or even anywhere!

Its difficult to get older retired people to settle well with some of the modern trappings of life. And its always possible that you are under 30 and just have a very quiet lifestyle???

Tony

I have a Keston (C25) in my own home. It is inaudible when in operation, a slight rumble when starting (I must tweak the mixture a little richer to get rid of this).

It might be possible to hear something from the flue when it's going full tilt but it doesn't spend very long in that state.

Get the council's environmental services to come and asses the noise. They have sound meters with them and will measure the noise level. If the noise really is at a nuissance level then the boiler is seriously wrong.

Sponsored Links
emzedcee said:
My neighbour has a a 6 year old Keston boiler and the noise from the flue is unbelievable. It sounds like a jet engine. I've been round to complain but been told repeatedly there's nothing that can be done. I suspect money may be an issue for him so I'm willing to pay for a solution. I would be really grateful for any suggestions as to what could be done - short of paying for a new boiler! Thanks.

You will probably find your neighbour has swapped the original burner, for the main burner, of a Harrier Jump Jet ;)

As said stop moaning, and how come you know more about your neighbours boiler than they do ,mmmmm :confused:

Mr nosey, me thinks :(

Dave.

Not something I know a lot about, but one bigger one I know of engenders a feeling of nostalgia when it starts up from cold. Concorde with afterburners. Quite alarming if you're in the same room.

It does quieten down. However, I am of course, as already concluded by some of the responders above, feeble in mind and body and take pleasure in listening to it as it's something I can moan about :rolleyes:

There is a Harrier jet within 1/2 mile of me.

Although it was a technological innovation with its VTO operation, when you go to examine it closely its quite small ( compared with the massive Vulcan ) and it just has a rotating elbow on the outlet of the combustion chamber to divert the POC downwards.

They were pretty noisy though, perhaps about 120 dBA at 1 m compared with many boilers at 58 dBA.

All the latest development in fighter planes is for unmanned flight because the performance G-force limitation is currently the human pilot. Even pressurised suits to keep the blood at the brain limits the manovers to about 3-4 G. There are also significant weight considerations if they dont have to support a human pilot.

Tony Glazier

I think see the problem. Noise, as a feature of a boiler or a jet engine, can be described in many ways, only one of which is volume.
My life is as a shadow on the sundial. But it's slower.

Rather than descend into scientific audio analysis or perhaps grandiose musical metophor we could help the gent more by accepting that the noise is objectionable.

I think the best course of action would be for the objector to pay for an inspection by a Keston Engineer who is forewarned of the problem so he has every chance of knowing what he is looking at. That would probably not annoy the neighbour (ie the owner) too much.
Next step might have to be Environmental Health, or put up with it.

ChrisR said:
Steady on ChrisR, it's spring and we're all supposed to be feeling full of life and hope. Anyway, it's when it doesn't even seem slower that you should be worried.

chrishutt said:
Keston's aren't normally that noisy, so there's probably something seriously wrong. It could be that the boiler will self-destruct before long, which will at least solve your problem.

Thanks Chrishutt I live in hope..

ChrisR said:
I think see the problem. Noise, as a feature of a boiler or a jet engine, can be described in many ways, only one of which is volume.

Rather than descend into scientific audio analysis or perhaps grandiose musical metophor we could help the gent more by accepting that the noise is objectionable.

I think the best course of action would be for the objector to pay for an inspection by a Keston Engineer who is forewarned of the problem so he has every chance of knowing what he is looking at. That would probably not annoy the neighbour (ie the owner) too much.
Next step might have to be Environmental Health, or put up with it.

Thanks Chris R - as you suspect I don't want to annoy my neighbour any more than is necessary - we've only just moved in and would like to be on friendly terms.. I think I will do as you suggest and pay for a Keston engineer

All the Kestons have very flexible flue systems made up of fairly inexpensive muPVC pipe (though strange to note it is not sold in the Old Trafford Souvenir shop, just as well or it wouldn't be inexpensive :LOL: ) It is also good to know that it's never been called Chelsea pipe for the same reasons......

....back to the flue, if you wanted to offer to pay to move the flue pipes I suggest you approach the neighbour with this solution before setting the hounds on him/her and cause conflict, he may not accept your kind offer after a row! Directing the flue vertically, or through another wall may reduce the noise considerably.

You want to hear the Concorde pressure jet boilers ChrisR :LOL:

Now they are like living next to an airfield, the last one we fitted had to have special sound proofing where the flue went up through the chimney.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back