Wetroom in Loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm currently having a loft conversion done & I'm comtemplating creating a wetroom in the loft. Can anyone suggest the best way to tank the room,i.e. walls & floors.Do I have to tank the whole room or just around the shower area?Also can anyone suggest about shower trays/formers & drainage.

The room has a 22mm chipboard T&G flooring,but some of the T&G had to be removed because because of a blunder by the plumber.

is it advisable to lay tiles straight on top of the chipboard or is it worth laying some marine ply down before tiling.

Any suggestions/advice/suppliers would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You seem to have a muddle of ideas. A wetroom is created by tanking underneath the tiles. There are a number of ways of doing this including copper and fibreglass linings. Tanking is expensive, because it is made to fit your room, in-situ, and must be done by a professional.

The whole room must be tanked, and a slope must be put into the floor towards the drainage holes.

A simple shower tray and door would be a whole lot less hassle ;)

Thanks for your advice

When I mentioned the vchipboard flooring I meant can thre tanking material be laid on the chipboard & tiled or is it advisable to put down some marine ply on top of the chipboard & then the tanking material.

Yes I know a simple shower tray would be the easiet option but its something the other half really wants.

TilesRus do a tanking kit,has anyone used this before or can anyone recommend other tanking products.
Any info. regarding installing a wetroom would be appreciated

Thanks

Hi pcshack

with all respect to crafty1289, ignore him....lol.. :)

Yes you can fit a wet room in an attic , an wetrooms arent out of the range of a competant DIYer .....

Use 18mm Marine ply on joists that have been strengthened with noggins ,then timber Preserve the lot ,
put down marine ply with screws every 200mm.....
where shower trap is to be postioned lay 40mm solvent waste pipes with fall at 1/4....then tank floor
an walls up too a metre, an full where shower head will be positioned ,
tanking isnt that hard it is very messy an time consuming job though ...then tile on top .....
hope this gives you an idea of whats involved ?

^ this above is not a full detailed explanation but a taster ... I will write a full long indepth one if anyone wants it ?

Sponsored Links
Hi there Moz,
I would very much appreciate a full version of the construction of a wet room. Thus far it has been quite difficult :rolleyes: to find suppliers of kits and waterproofing here on the wet, west coast.
any additional information would be most helpful
cheers
F

http://www.wedi.co.uk/tileback.htm

We use this product all the time for wetrooms. It is also useful for general construction. Very easy to cut and fit and seal up. It has its own shower base with built in slope and trap that is very low profile. We buy it from CTD Tiles http://www.ctdtiles.co.uk/. Before we used Bal's tanking solution (BAL WP1). It seemed good at the time, but the Wedi stuff quickly made us see the light. It costs a few bob though, but the time saved on installation helps to even it out.

Hello,

Have you full details of how you tanked your room. Did you create the falls yourself or did you use a pre formed deck?

Thanks.

Moz said:
Hi pcshack

with all respect to crafty1289, ignore him....lol.. :)

Yes you can fit a wet room in an attic , an wetrooms arent out of the range of a competant DIYer .....

Use 18mm Marine ply on joists that have been strengthened with noggins ,then timber Preserve the lot ,
put down marine ply with screws every 200mm.....
where shower trap is to be postioned lay 40mm solvent waste pipes with fall at 1/4....then tank floor
an walls up too a metre, an full where shower head will be positioned ,
tanking isnt that hard it is very messy an time consuming job though ...then tile on top .....
hope this gives you an idea of whats involved ?

^ this above is not a full detailed explanation but a taster ... I will write a full long indepth one if anyone wants it ?

DARTHVADER
I was a Quality bathroom fitter for the last 18years ,
I have used all methods for wetrooms , the best advice for the novice diyer is preformed bases Impey do good ones ,
http://www.impey-uk.com/aqua_dec/what.php

or you can construct your own base an tank the floor yourself

hope this helps :)

Thanks for that Moz. I have been on the Impey website and have to say that using a pre-formed deck looks easier than tanking the room.
Thank again.

Hi, Moz.......thanks for the link and the succinct post ;) If you fancy a hol. in Sussex...working that is ..........if I get a wetroom job :)

Nige F
the way Im kicking my heels now since selling my firm , I would enjoy/relish going back on the tools , OH YES !!!!

although my missus might have something to say about it , I loved the 80/90s down in London ,in the vw camper ...
me an my mucker Daz , doing all them factory/warehouse contemp bathroom yuppie conversions ,
Great time :) ....

Hi
I had given up on this idea after speaking to many bathroom installers,

But i'm being a stubborn, after a lot of research & hassling people for advice I'm going for it.
I've bought a preformed 1800mm x 900mm shower tray,with slopes built in,The floor is going to be tanked with Schlüter®-DITRA glued to the floor with Bal waterproof Adhesive & the walls will have aquapanels on with waterproof taping along the joints.

I'll have a 15mm kerdi drain.

The floor is being tiled with travertine sloping towards the shower tray,hopefully carrying all the overspills(around the shower panel) towards the drain.

Walls will also have travertine tiles

I'd appreciate any comments/advice re: my suggested solution.

Will the aquapanels be waterproof enuf?
Has anyone used the Schlüter®-DITRA Matting or Kerdi Drain?

Cheers

Has anyone used the Schlüter®-DITRA Matting or Kerdi Drain?

yes an you have got good products an good work plan there ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back