3kw built in cooker

RPP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a 3kw built in cooker to replace a gas cooker. The gas hob is staying and its ignition works via a 13amp plug.

Distance from cooker to consumer unit is approx 15m. Instruction booklet suggests fuse of a min 15amps and max 20amps with min 2.5mm cable and a double pole switch between cooker and consumer unit. Can you advise as I don't seem to be able to find a double pole switch in the local DIY less than 45amps for a cooker and I would have thought I would need a heavier cable over 15m. Despite instructions should I fit a 45 amp double pole switch and join consumer unit at a vacant 45amp fuse?

Sponsored Links
A switched spur is a double pole switch, also they should stock a 20A double pole switch (commonly used on water heater circuits)

HTH

Rob

Thanks for the quick reply. When you say "A switched spur is a double pole switch", am I to presume you mean the spur for the hob? This is only 13amp and although I am led to believe a 13amp takes 3kw as a maximum the instruction book says different. Sorry to be pedantic, but can you be a little clearer and describe the cable, switch and fuse connections and sizes? I'll certainly search again for a 20A double pole switch since you say they should have one.

A Switched spur is just a D.P. switch with the addition of an integral fuse.
You will be fine running the cable in 2.5mm2 T+E Providing there are no derating factors to take into accout (i.e. running the cable in thermal insulation etc) This can then be connected to a 16A MCB in your consumer unit.
The cooker end can either be connected via a 13A switched spur(Click Here) or via a 20A double pole switch (Click here)

Are you aware that this work needs to be notified to your local authority building control?

Rob

Sponsored Links
Thanks Rob.

So, thats a 2.5mm2 T+E from cooker to terminal outlet box (you didn't say, but I assume I'll need one?), then the same cable to the DP switch (13A switched spur or a 20A DP), then the same cable to a 16A MCB in the consumer unit.

I'll be using plastic conduit to route the cable to minimise damage to decor (again I assume this is ok?) and there's no thermal insulation to worry about, but I didn't know about building control!

PS thanks for the links.

thoretically 2.5 should be OK, and if you take in consideration diversity factor it is even better, but you have to be very careful and note this somewhere you don't know what kind of cooker the next person will buy.

As I understand this is a new circuit; cable, MCB, FS etc to TMHO it is notifyable work.

Its in and working so thanks for the help. Also added an earth to the consumer unit as per instructions on the switch, etc. Not sure why though with 2c+e cable throughout!?

RPP said:
Also added an earth to the consumer unit as per instructions on the switch, etc. Not sure why though with 2c+e cable throughout!?
What exactly did the instructions say regarding this? . . . :eek:

Additional earth from the terminal outlet box to the DP switch and from the DP switch to the consumer unit attached to the tob and DP switch earth connectors according to instructions. As I say cooker is working so hope this is just excessive at worst and necessary at best.

Instructions probably intended for some inferior country with two-pin plugs.

That may be so, but the leaflets (as with the DP switch and tbo) came with the instructions printed and produced by Wickes and Homebase respectively (British companies, I believe) clearly showing and describing the need to have an additional earth wire to the consumer unit for both items.

Seems a little over the top, but better safe than sorry. Is there any chance you can scan / photograph the leaflet just to endulge my curiosity (or I won't sleep tonight) :D

Rob

RPP said:
That may be so, but the leaflets (as with the DP switch and tbo) came with the instructions printed and produced by Wickes and Homebase respectively
more likely printed and produced by whatever chineese brand wickes and homebase are rebranding..........................

Rob - I have a scanner, but not clear how I insert the image (not as clever as some of you out there). Can you guide me?

You will need to use an image hoster such as photobucket.com
You upload the image to their site and they provide you with the line of text you need to post in the forum (in the Img box)

If this is too much hassle you can email it to me and I will post it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back