What Broadband?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'm thinking of changing my ISP from Wanadoo to Talk Talk. I'm sure many of you are saying "there's nothing to think about. Just do it"! Well I'm a little apprehensive. I don't want to lose contacts that I have built up e.g. eBay, inksuppliers, Bank acc. etc. with Wanadoo, because they have my eMail address that is lined up with Wanadoo. Can I access my inbox if I cancel the account.
The reason I'm posting this request for advice is to find out if there is a list of things to do before I switch.

All help appreciated,

Tony

Sponsored Links
I would steer clear of both those ISPs and choose a decent one instead. My criteria when helping a customer choose an ISP are as follows:

1. Offers a generally reliable service (ask them for URL of service status page, and monitor it for a while).
2. Technical helpline is an 0845 number.
3. Technical helpline operates 24x7.
4. Technical helpline actually solves your problem(s).

Regarding Email address, you have three main options:

1. Ask Wanadoo for a contract whereby you maintain use of that mailbox - they might charge you a monthly fee.
2. Switch to allegiance to your new ISP and tell ll of your contacts. Wanadoo will give you a grace period in which to achieve this.
3. Create a domain and have this hosted by your new ISP.

Option 3 is the most flexible since you can then change ISPs without your Email address ever changing. There is a small fee to register and a recurring fee to renew. Some ISPs will register and host your domain for a very small extra charge. An example would be PlusNet at £1.00 per month.

To compare ADSL ISPs have a look here:
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/isps/compare.asp

You should quickly discover how relatively cr*p (allegedly) the following ISPs are:

BT
Wanadoo
Talk Talk
Tiscali
AOL

Compare them with someone like Nildram and see the contrast.

Thanks Softus,
An eye-opener, without a doubt. Nildram certainly looks good. I'll check it out.

Tony

you are very lucky indeed when you have a choice of isp,where i live in Hull you have one choice,and that's KAROO .Because kingston communications have their own telephone exchange in the all of england. and they run the monoply around here,we pay £17.98 a month for a 2.3 gb service.and it's allways going down.Some years ago it used to be AOL until KC set up their own isp...and then we all got letters from AOL saying that they was pulling out of Hull because KC wanted more and more money for the line..so when AOL pulled out,Guess who we had to go with... :?:

Sponsored Links
talk talk is not free is costs £70 to cancel contract and a £30 admin charge.... ouch !!!!

stay clear, i also believe customer service is poo.!

Back