Installing a pendant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im a novice - and need some help. I have some pendant lights that need additional support within my plasterboard ceiling - i.e. a hook fixed back to a batten I imagine, and i want to install them on my existing lights. But, when i take the cover off my ceiling rose, the existing ceiling rose is exactly where i need my hook to be if i want it to be hidden by the pendant fittings. What do i do? Im on a victorian ground floor flat, with no access from above. Can the ceiling rose be located elsewehere in the ceiling void, with the flex fed through the opening and new support batten?

Sponsored Links
If you are hanging a chandelier or something heavy, you need to fasten the hook to the joist of the floor above. This will probably be beside your existing lighting fitting. If the ceiling is painted white, and the plastic fitting is also white, it will not be noticable as people will generally not look at it.

If you have a Victorian house then the ceiling is probably made of lath and plaster and will fall down of you put weight on it. You wil not be able to get into the void to fit an extra batten. (oops, sorry, you say it has been replaced by a newer plasterboard ceiling, which will not be as fragile, but it still won't take a heavy lamp.)

So does that mean there aren't any tricks to get the hook located exactly where the ceiling rose ought to be? I can't move the pendant over as its surrounded by an ornamental plaster ceiling rose which would be off centre with the fitting hung from a joist.....And I cant push the electrical ceiling rose out of the way up into the ceiling void? If I understand right, the only way I can support the pendant will be by using a batten either installed from above (no access) or below (meaning I have to tear out a load of the plaster ceiling - no thanks!)

Ah, a ceiling rose.

You may be able to get a steel stand-off bracket that will screw through the feet into the joint above

Or two hooks into the joist, one either side of the electrical fitting, and the chandelier suspended by chains?

Sponsored Links
The spring toggle and hooks are all good in principle, but I dont see how to get the 'chain' or toggle to drop through the hole in the plasterboard ceiling, as its currently filled with a loop-in ceiling rose - maybe I'm not using the right terminology - i'll describe it - a circular plastic fitting with various black and red wires fed into it from the switch and other lights, with a flex from it. Its this fitting thats in the way of where i need to provide support. Can I move it elsewhere within the ceiling void, allowing me to locate the pendant in the middle of the plaster rose, or remove all its wiring and use something else in rthat location which will give me room?

You,re in a flat!!! the ceiling is also a fire protectiv measure. I'm not sure what the rules are in this case but be very careful you don't break them!
I'm sure ban will know the enswer!?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back