I\\\'m in trouble

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Connected a new light fitting from Ikea today and none of the other upstairs lights will work. I have 3 earth, 2 neutral black wires and one live red wire. The instructions that came with the light advise to connect earth to a brass screw fitting, and there is a white box with two live and two neutral ports. I have connected both black to neutral and the red to live. Any ideas, as I've been through this whole site and I am still none the wiser...seems like everyone has different wiring.

Sponsored Links
Are all the fuses in your fuse box still ok? Is each wire at the light a double covered single (each coloured core (and maybe an earth) has its own grey outer sheath) or is there a twin and earth cable? (two coloured cores and one earth wire in the same outer grey sheath)

I presume the fuse is okay as the light I have fitted works, just none of the others upstairs. There are three grey sheafs containing the different wires.

Sorry, forgot to say thanks for helping me out...I really appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
don korhan said:
I have 3 earth, 2 neutral black wires and one live red wire.

don korhan said:
There are three grey sheafs containing the different wires.
So you have 3 cables:

Black & earth

Black & earth

Red & earth

??

don korhan said:
there is a white box with two neutral ports. I have connected both black to neutral...

Two neutral ports?

Both black to neutral?

Can you post a piccy?

Sounds like you have broken neutral continuity to the first floor...

Turned the power off and un-did everything, took lots of photos to post on here and thought I'd just disconnect and re-connect all the wires whilst up there...and hey presto, all the lights are now working! I think one of the neutrals mustn't have been connected properly.

Thankyou everyone for your time and input...I think I might just get a pro in next time!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back