30amp ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a 30amp fuse in the CU which comes into the kitchen via a single socket.

Formerally the kitchen had a fan oven with grill, an extractor hood, and the ignition to the gas hob all connected to this via plugs and socket-doublers (dodgy huh?).

I am now installing my own single fan oven (with inbuilt grill), hood, and hob ignition. I am going to do this properly, with terminal outlet boxes and fused switches above the kitchen worktop.

What type of cable should I use?
Also should I run a ring from the original feed into the kitchen or can I just spur on to the different units?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The FCUs for the Hob spark thingy and the extractor hood can be located on the ring, its possible that the one for the oven could be on the ring as well (depends on wattage of oven) but it'd be adviseable to run a separate radial in if possible

What wattage is this oven?

And I take it you are aware of the building regulations regarding this type of work :?:

jameseh said:
Do you mean a cooker control unit, or an ordinary socket?

What size is the cable?

Also, are you aware that the work you propose is notifiable to LABC?

EDIT: Doh! - that will teach me to answer the phone, and not check that another reply has sneaked in while I wasn't watching!

Yes the oven, extraction, and spark are all within the 30amps to go on the same circuit.

Since I intend to use terminal outlet boxes rather than sockets/plugs, do I have to have a seperate fuse-switch for each device, or can I just put one on the oven, and spur the other two devices from the oven? (ie so when the switch is off, all three devices are disabled).

I didn't know about requiring LABC approval.
I will be having my CORGI-registered friend actually do the gas/electrical work, but what is the LABC for?

Sponsored Links
(I have a 30amp fuse in the CU which comes into the kitchen via a single socket. ) = the 30amp fuse in the consumer unit originally came into the kitchen via a single socket, which all 3 devices plugged into

Thanks ban-all-sheds,

The work that will be done comes under 2-C-ii of the link you provided (adding new fused spurs to an existing ring.)

The reason I was posting originally(!), was so that I could figure out which type of cable the spurs should be (ie to the oven and extractor), and whether I need a seperate switch/fuse control box on each spur, or if I can share the box between a spur to the oven and extractor.

You know, Im amazed at how you're all so obsessive with the beaucracy and legislation, to the extent that you won't answer the actual questions I've asked !

I understand that this is a very dangerous thing to get wrong, I also understand I ultimatly have to have a qualified electrician do the work by law.

But when I ask a question to learn from for my own knowledge, so that I can plan my new fitted kitchen around where things are going to go to minimise plumbing and cabling rework, I was really hoping people could advise me on the logistics rather than the damn legistlation.

I didn't ask about the beaucracy.

There are all sorts of folk here. Some, like me, are qualified sparks of many years standing and we have to be very careful that the advice we give is absolutely accurate and understood by the recipient. In this case, (as in many others) you have to be made aware that Part P is applicable.

If we just posted practical advice with no regard for PP, and something went wrong, what then?

Better to be annoyed and informed than misled, I feel.

Nobody here really cares if you break the law - ultimately you do not have to have a qualified electrician do the work, you are perfectly within your rights to do it yourself, provided you do it safely and you notify LABC in advance.

If you choose not to notify that is your affair, but it is a decision you should make knowingly - we do not want to simply advise you on the electrical aspects and have you through ignorance become a law-breaker, and possibly store up trouble for the future when you sell the house.

So now that that's out of the way....

jameseh said:
Do you mean a cooker control unit, or an ordinary socket?

What size is the cable?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back