New Ceiling Light- HELP!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am posting on behalf of my husband who is too embarrassed to ask for help. So shhhhh...he doesn\\\'t know I am here.

Problem: took out old ceiling rose in bathroom to find 6 brown wires, 1 black wire, 3 live, 3 neutral.

Husband decided to take apart the Junction box they were fitted to and connect all the brown ones together in one connection. Connected the others up as usual.

Result: Bathroom light permanently on and extractor fan no longer works
Living room, bedroom and hallway light on, but can be switched off. Living room and bedroom both have double lights in them.

All lights on first floor and we had to turn off lights at junction box last night cos we could not figure it out.

Please help!

Sponsored Links
How could you tell the "3 neutral" and "1 black wire" apart?

You need to go back to basics, and find out which of these conductors:

a: supplies the feed to that point.

b: runs to the switch position(s).

c: runs to the fan position.

d: runs on to further lighting points.

you will need test equipment to do this - have you any?

Maybe I should talk in 7month pregnant women language!

There was 6 brown wires, 1 black wire, 3 green and yellow and 3 red? I think I got the colours and meanings mixed up.

Sorry my explanation for this uselessness is explained in my first sentence!

I have no kits, no tools, no experience and no money!

Sorry if this seems a silly question, but its not meant to be. With the 'brown' wires, is that the colour of the outer insulation, or are they bare copper ?

Sponsored Links
The casing of the brown wires are copper inside. This is doing my head in now. I am going to take a picture of it tonight so I can post it on here!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back