STILL CONFUSED

B

BOB.DOLE

i got a 256 mb memory but can only get 128
now i am after a graphic boar and it says x2 on the web check
so what the hell can i stick in this mother f......... board

let mer tell you 7 days i have been at this cretin and the next best thing this mother board will get between the legs is a slege hammer

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr i hate computers ..................................

Sponsored Links
Bob,
why do you want to upgrade this computer? If you wanna play games on it, you'd be better buying a new one. You'll never get that one of yours to run anything decent.

You can get some good value stuff at Novatech, that's where i get mine. Good service, too.

x2 means you will probably need an "AGP GRAPHICS CARD x2"
the memory problem seems to be you are putting in the wrong type of memory into your motherboard memory slot, check with your motherboards manual.
Need more info on your computer specs to give you better info.

I.E. CPU - Motherboard - Memory - Graphics card slot's.

Sponsored Links
williams89 said:
the memory problem seems to be you are putting in the wrong type of memory into your motherboard memory slot, check with your motherboards manual.
Need more info on your computer specs to give you better info.

I.E. CPU - Motherboard - Memory - Graphics card slot's.

Slot '0' has 128 MB
Slot '1' has 64 MB
Slot '2' has 64 MB

VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C692BX
600 megahertz Intel Pentium III

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 41.10 GB 30.26 GB free

41.10 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
30.26 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Board: VIA 693A 2A6LGH2D
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 4.51

does this help

i am after a graphic card and need to soop up the memory and make this toitouise go faster

I AGREE WITH gcol

the system you describe is past its sell by date by 4 years

bin it or use it as a server of sorts

gcol said:
Bob, listen to me - you're flogging a dead duck. Get a new one - it'll be cheaper in the long run.

i caNT AFFORD it i am a 30 a penny gas engineer and on the dole ..
so i have to make ends meat untill the contractors are rich enoght
and give a bit back,

The info you have given me doesn't indicate your specific motherboard type. I need to know the name of your motherboard to check for bios upgrade possibilities. I suggest you open up your p.c. and write down any numbers you find on the motherboard. The number you gave me is for a sound chip which is on the board. There should be a seperate number for the main board. What operating system are you currently running? If it is windows X P there are several ways to speed up a slow system by tweaking the visuals built into the operating system. If you want your current machine to run games I would suggest you think about a faster prossesor. At least 1GHZ Pentium 4 with HT techhnology. Your graphics card will not help much because the Pentium 3 will have trouble keeping up. If you just want a faster machine you could replace slot 1 and 2 with 128MB Ram. This will increase your main system speed greatly. If you look on the side of the memory it should have a sticker telling you it's size and wether it is DDR-SDRAM
Memory is usually cheaper than a graphics card option. I recommend you write down all the information you can find on your current system and let me have it. I should then be able to let you know your best options and what and where to purchase upgrades. Also let me know if you are able to buy online.

The above information comes from my son. I am not that hot on computers but my son said he is glad to help where he can.

With the gear Bob has, it's totally pointless in trying to upgrade it. Throwing good money after bad springs to mind.

BOB.DOLE said:
williams89 said:
Would a system of that age have an AGP slot?

Slot '0' has 128 MB
Slot '1' has 64 MB
Slot '2' has 64 MB
Try swapping the modules in 0 & 2...

BOB.DOLE said:
[paraphrase]I have a really old processor type running really slowly[/paraphrase]

[paraphrase]I have a slow bus as well[/paraphrase]

i am after a graphic card and need to soop up the memory and make this toitouise go faster
Don't spend 1p on it - it simply isn't worth it, and you won't be able to get any real performance boost anyway.

If you can't afford a new one just yet, then save your upgrade money, and then you'll be able to get a new one sooner.

These people are pretty good.

If you're looking to save money, you can also buy one of these
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/barebones.html and fit your old hard drive, CD, and modem into it, re-use your existing monitor; a cheap way round when times are hard if you don't mind tinkering. It also gives you a modern base so you can upgrade more effectively in future. This is an established and trusted company, I've used them for about 10 years and am working on one of theirs now. They also do fully-built and components, of course.

Sponsored Links
Back