rainwater problem with stable door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a hardwood stable door fitted approx 2 months ago. I've given it a couple of coates of varnish + fitted storm guards around the perimeter.

But I've noticed that, when we get heavy wind + rain, I'm getting rainwater coming thru the joint of the stable door. There is a profile to the stable door, but the water seems to be getting thru. I could maybe fit a cill, but i don't think it'll look too good with a cill half way up the door..........any ideas what else I could do? that will look ok aswell?

Cheers in advance

Sponsored Links
ahh.. if the door opens in, and the top bit opens first, then i guess the re bate will allow water in.
they are designed to open out, with the top half opening first, therefore alleviating the problem of water ingress through the rebate.

Sponsored Links
you are correct to say the top 1/2 opens inwards first.........but i thought that the rebate was there to stop you opening the lower 1/2 first :confused: (as the top 1/2 is the part of the door that has the 5 lever lock on it). And i've seen countless stable doors, i'm yet to see an outward opening one.

ok, knowing now that the door might be fitted incorrectly......is there anything you would recommend for the rainwater problem i've got?

peca27 said:
i've seen countless stable doors, i'm yet to see an outward opening one.

they always are in stables! So if the horse is lying against the door you can get in; and if you're inside with him and he starts to bite, he can't lean on the door and stop you getting out

But I think you're right about houses, they are fitted to open in as usual, upper leaf first. Bit tricky for rain if there's no porch or anything.

You're choices are very limited as you already know ,all I can suggest is a small weather strip (which you have already said you didn't want,other than that youcould plough out a narrow trench in the front rebate of the top door and fit a rubber strip ,this might seal the joint enough to stop the rain driving in :)

you could try and fix a weather strip, with its own rubber strip or gasket built in, to the top part of the bottom door.
this would be fixed so that it covers the join completely.
as it is fixed to the bottom door, it won't impede opening.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back