Hotpoint WM52 won't start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The machine would not go on to the spin cycle so I have replaced the brushes. On trying to start it again it is completely dead. Have checked fuse/plug etc - electricity is getting to the machine. Previous comments in the forum suggest the door interlock could be the problem. Any other thoughts? How do I access the interlock?

If brushes not installed correctly, would that cause the machine to be completely dead when switched on?

Sponsored Links
Firstly when you replaced the brushes where the old ones burnt/worn down/cracked if so this would be the reason for drum not turning. When you replaced them did you remember to release the brushes by bending the small brass locking tab back I assume this model is the one were motor is mounted at the top of washer.

Thanks - one of the old brushes was worn down and burnt. I did remember to bend the tabs back. The motor is on the top.

ok that should have cured your no drum spin problem. Yes the door interlock going open circuit will cause your machine to be dead but it seems unusually coincidental that it happened immediatly after your repair. Have you tried putting a bit pressure against the door to see if this starts the machine.

Sponsored Links
Yes - I have also dismantled the interlock and put the red and brown wires together to bypass it (as suggested elsewhere in the forum) it but still completely nothing.

Then the only thing I can think off is that a plug or lead may have been dislodged sometime during your repair. Check all plugs/sockets up to and off the programmer plus motor plug very gently tug individual leads on motor plug to check for fractured wire. Other than this its a bit of a noodle scratcher.Please post a reply if you manage to cure the problem.Sorry i could not pinpoint the cause.

Just to update you. I believe the problem was with the door interlock. I found that when I reconnected everything again it still would not start until I gave the area around the door catch a good thump. Then it started. My wife still has to bang it but it starts each time and dose the complete cycle. Not very scientific but I will replace the interlock in due course.

Thanks for that follow up the door interlock was the prime suspect of a dead machine. Before you replace it just check that when the door closes that the latch enters the opening of the lock centrally vertically and horizontally. If it does not very gentle persuation of the door to realign the latch may cure the problem and save the cost of a new interlock

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back