Potterton suprima 80 loud shunting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HELP! This happened about 8 wks ago - switched heating on and sudden loud crashing and banging noises throughout house with shunting of pipes - boiler experts suggested 'kettling' due to new pump needed. When they came pump worked fine so suggested flushing out system at a cost of £500!!! I declined! Pump work for about a month then same thing happened. Called different pumber who replaced pump. Worked for 7 days and again crashing and banging with this awful shunting of pipes. Electrician came to check in case 'short' was happening somewhere. Nothing wrong with electrics pumps started up again. For 3 days!! If anyone out there can help with this I would be so grateful. Have bled the radiators and there was a lot of air in system. Should I now be getting the system 'flushed'?

Sponsored Links
That sounds like a pcb problem.

Get your engineer to have a look at the connection on the pcb that feeds the pump.

I have seen 3 or 4 in the past with this problem. (dry joint).

To clarify what's probably happening....
Your pump is wired FROM THE BOILER, so the boiler PCB determines when to operate it and there's a relay to switch it on. With a fault on the PCB the boiler can light up without the pump turning. After a few seconds (literally!), the boiler will live up to its name and boil. This is a Bad Thing which will damage the boiler and possibly other things.
Important to get it fixed properly before running the system.

Debbie..

Just some polite tips.

Don't hijack other posts.
Post your question once.

;)

Sponsored Links
"I have seen 3 or 4 in the past with this problem. (dry joint)."

it's not a dry joint

raden said:
"I have seen 3 or 4 in the past with this problem. (dry joint)."

it's not a dry joint

Yes it was.

You are wrong, I am right, So There ;)

Maybe your statement should have read something along the lines of:

Yes it is possible that it was caused by a dry joint on the pcb, however it may be caused by..........blah blah blah

:rolleyes:

A dry joint is where the solder has not weet the surface of the metal when the solder joint is being made. It is completely different from cacked joints which are a familiar featu5e of any potteton board so ...

I don't nneed a crystal ball, you just need to use the correct terminology

Lesson No 2 - sticky relays ...

Just wire the pump up so its not under control of the boiler (ie it has its own supply). If the boiler is now quiet you know the boiler is at fault.

raden said:
you just need to use the correct terminology

Preciisely because now debbieT has the correct terminology all her problems are solved :rolleyes:

Ah so next time someone gets jumped on for an incorrect definition, and someone tells them they obviously don't know what they are talking about, you'll jump to their defence - good, that's what I like to see

raden said:
Ah so next time someone gets jumped on for an incorrect definition, and someone tells them they obviously don't know what they are talking about, you'll jump to their defence - good, that's what I like to see

Possibly, depends how much I've had to drink and wheather I could care less. ;)

raden said:
A dry joint is where the solder has not weet the surface of the metal when the solder joint is being made. It is completely different from cacked joints which are a familiar featu5e of any potteton board so ...

I don't nneed a crystal ball, you just need to use the correct terminology

Lesson No 2 - sticky relays ...

raden...the ones that i witnessed with my own eyes had nothing to do with sticky relays...Fact.

The joints on the pump connection were the problem.
How do i know?
I repaired them and the fault was no more.

So please accept my sincere apologies for not meeting your high standards in electronics terminology.

You new exactly what i was refering to when i said "dry joint"
You was just trying to show off :rolleyes:

raden...the ones that i witnessed with my own eyes had nothing to do with sticky relays...Fact.

I was just pointing to another common fallacious expression if you read what I typed

The joints on the pump connection were the problem.
How do i know?
I repaired them and the fault was no more.

Bad boi - you really shouldn't have done that. You have repaired a pcb in contravention of CORGI's policy - bring back capital punishment !

So please accept my sincere apologies for not meeting your high standards in electronics terminology.

It's a basic definition, and you should get it right

You new exactly what i was refering to when i said "dry joint"
You was just trying to show off

No, I'm picking you up for being sloppy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back