Installing sink in garage/workshop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone could tell me how to go about installing a sink to my workshop/garage, house is around 6m from the house.

Any info would be much appreciated!!!

Cheers :evil:

Sponsored Links
i am not a plumber or heating engineer but i think more info would help, have you water supply, drainage ? anything else usefull.

as yet the crystal ball does not yet work properly

The drainage MUST go into sewer..or cesspool..and the water feed Should be buried 750mm below ground ;)OR you could just chuck the water over the lawn :rolleyes: :rolleyes:Or you could buy a Komposting Karzi and save the planet too.........and on the last day the last flicker of life will be on this forum with 2 people arguing :rolleyes: :LOL: :LOL:

Now what if there is no sewer to the property? :confused:

Sponsored Links
At the moment just have water supply to house and nothin in the workshop, would it be a case of running a pipe off the rising mains in a plastic pipe 750mm under ground?
What do i need to do for drainage?? connect waste pipe to sewer??

Thanks again

If it is only to be used for washing hands and you wont be adding a toilet,you could connect to a rainwater pipe.

If you need a toilet and the video :D This should be the answer to all those who think a macerator poo pump is a solution, instead of the problem it WILL turn out to be.

so am i right in thinking that i would have a copper pipe from the house running through a plastic pipe laid underground up to the workshop??

tanto said:
If it is only to be used for washing hands and you wont be adding a toilet,you could connect to a rainwater pipe.
This is a very BAD idea.

Water used for washing hands is a category 3 fluid, which requires treatment before being returned to the environment, therefore must not be passed into the surface drainage system.

Yes, although, to be pedantic, the word "straight" is unnecessary.

In other words, the waste should run (either directly or via a soil stack) into a suitable point in the underground drain within the bounds of your property, and from there into the connection to the public sewer.

Since we have hose pipe bans etc why don't you use a grey water recovery system ie a bucket and chuck it on the garden (but not the veg patch) ;)

Perfectly legal option and promoted by some water authorities.

Gasguru said:
Since we have hose pipe bans etc why don't you use a grey water recovery system ie a bucket and chuck it on the garden (but not the veg patch) ;)

Perfectly legal option and promoted by some water authorities.
Er, Gasguru, I think your idea is a bit off kilter!

Grey water recovery is usually used to describe a system of storing non-foul waste (e.g. from basins or washing machine, or rainwater), and using it to flush WCs. In other words it still ends up in the sewer and gets treated.

There are other water recovery systems that are basically a DIY water treatment works, but these don't fit into a bucket. Even if they did, a bucket isn't big enough to be a practical way of storing the hand-washing water from Darkrob_DIY's workshop sink.

The reason that category 3 fluid musn't be put on the garden is because it can end up in a water course that finds it way into a local stream or river, and this would therefore be an illegal pollutant.

I'd be interested to know which water companies promote this idea, and exactly what they say the idea is.

Softus said:

The reason that category 3 fluid musn't be put on the garden is because it can end up in a water course that finds it way into a local stream or river, and this would therefore be an illegal pollutant.

I'd be interested to know which water companies promote this idea, and exactly what they say the idea is.

Well if you go to many inland boating places, you will see this cat 3 water being poured directly into the rivers. The biggest single area is the Norfolk broads. The sailing boats even have a direct poo discharge from the toi;et.

Hands up who goes swimming amongst the Norfolk nuggets? :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back