What exactly is a back boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We are considering buying a house. It has a back boiler, which is not something we are familiar with.

The back boiler seems to be combined with an old fashioned gas fire.

Can anyone explain to us exactly what a back boiler is? Would we be able to remove the gas fire, maybe to replace with a real gas flame open fire, yet still keep the back boiler?

Or would removing the gas fire require replacing the whole boiler system with a more standard wall mounted combi system?

Thanks for your help!

Salsa

Sponsored Links
Its a combined boiler and fire the fire bolting straight on to the boiler, open flued and no, not possible to replace the fire front with a modern fire (unless very lucky and a new model). Replacement fires are available for some makes and models but very expensive and hardly worth bothering with.

Does the presence of a back boiler suggest this is a very old system? Is it an antiquated style of heating?

We are worried that committing to the property would mean a new boiler system being relocated, costing many thousands of pounds!

Thanks!

Salsa

very good chance it could require major surgery to bring it up to todays standards

Sponsored Links
my mother still has one, you also get the added bonus of an airing cupboard and two water tanks in the loft, hot water limited to size of tank (in airing cupboard) but most on here like them as opposed to a combi

Not state-of-the-art or very efficient but no reason on the face of it why it shouldn't last a few years at least. When it dies (rust, usually) you'll almost certainly have to put a boiler somewhere else.

If it is a Baxi, they were built like the Bismark- only bomms would destroy them.

Cheap to repair. Heat exchanger can leak but that can be repaired as well.

To increase efficiency, I would add additional controls.

Replacement? I do not think so. It will last years.

I think the general query isn't one of efficiency or longevity though, but mainly aesthetics

pulling out a baxi bbu with lfe firefront next week only 5 years old,they originally wanted a combi untill they got the prices and realised how much work was involved,they settled for a solo 3 moved to the kitchen and i get to keep the bbu and firefront

Salsa.. get BG to check it out for a "service contract" before buying.. they will probably refuse to cover it.. use that fact as ruthless leverage to knock a few thousand off the price of the house...

sidecar_jon said:
Salsa.. get BG to check it out for a "service contract" before buying.. they will probably refuse to cover it..

Christ I doubt it, would only refuse if its at risk or worse. Just tell them you would want to replace the boiler and haggle the price accordingly.

Having a back boiler unit (bbu) does not neccessarily mean you have an old system.

Some of the bbu's I have serviced are no more than 3 years old.

Why not invest in a boiler and heating inspection? This will provide a full report on the boiler / type of system you have (and age).

David

Thanks for all the good advice....

How much does an inspection usually cost?

depends a lot on location.

Ask a reputable engineer in your area.

David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back