What type of Lintel for a 3m Garage door gap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Hopefully the subject says it all.

Was just wondering what people would suggest using for a lintel to bridge a 3m wide (Building regs. Max recommended I think) garage door? Concrete or other?

Also what length will the lintel be required to overhang on the brick work? The garage width is almost 5m wide in total and will be constructed out of 140mm wide blocks.

Would it be normal for whoever delivers the lintel to also place it on the garage (cant really see myself hoisting a concrete lintel into place myself!)

Cheers in advance, as always!

Sponsored Links
Are you providing piers at each end of the opening? what is going above the lintel (brickwork, roof, bedroom etc??)? 3m wide opening is an odd size, most garage doors are 7-8ft wide (2.2-2.4m approx) have you got a door that will fit the opening ready? assuming its a simple detached garage, what roof construction - flat, pitched?

Hi static.

Yes, piers at each end for support as per regs. Its a detached, pitched roof garage and above lintel will be blocks to the apex of the roof, 5.5m high. The 'loft' space will be used for storage.

Door Size. Well funnily enough we do have a set of gates that are hanging off the current entrance to the hardstanding of the right size. The plan is ideally to spend the money and get a nice roll up electric door which seem to be available any size you want. I know these are not cheap, so will use the old gate in the meantime.

The turning into the garage is a little on the tight side and the larger the garage opening the better. I can get my VW Beetle in there no probs, but should I ever get a Combi Van.... just trying to plan ahead a bit! Plus also the girlfriend wants to store her bike in there too, so I may not even have to shuffle vehicles around to get out if I am lucky (garage will be 6.4m x 5).

Hope that give you enough info.

Ok,

Assuming you are going for the 140mm blockwork over the lintel, i would go for a 140x215 precast concrete lintel by Tarmac Topfloor. Allow for 150mm bearing each end.

5.5m is quite high for a single skin wall, make sure the piers continue up as high as possible.

If you intend to put in a roller shutter door i would look into it now, they weigh ALOT and normally require some frame/support, or double up the trusses over.

Sponsored Links
Hello, my 2 storey side extension will also have a 3.3m metre garage opening.

I've assummed a Catnic lintel with 150mm both sides would be adequate (planning to give Catnic the drawings and ask them to check the SWL).

Haven't discussed any pillers or anything with the brickie - should I?
Inner leaf will be 100m block and outer leaf 100m facing brick.

Thanks
Mike

miked1 said:
Hello, my 2 storey side extension will also have a 3.3m metre garage opening.

I've assummed a Catnic lintel with 150mm both sides would be adequate (planning to give Catnic the drawings and ask them to check the SWL).

Haven't discussed any pillers or anything with the brickie - should I?
Inner leaf will be 100m block and outer leaf 100m facing brick.

Thanks
Mike
Dont hijack posts, create a new thread and i'll answer

Thanks for that Static.

Yes, planning on 140mm blocks all round but have taken note of your comments re: wall height and roller doors.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back