Extractor fan noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help me solve the problem with extractor noise causing distress to my next door neighbour. The problem is my in-line fan being secured to the roof truss (screwed) with the hum noise being picked up next door at night. I have turned down the over run but I really need to secure the fan to something else that will not transfer the noise. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Is the fan screwed directly to the roof truss? If so you could try fitting some rubber bushes between the feet of the fan and the truss to prevent the vibration being transferred from the fan to the timber. This is probably what is creating the hum. Have a google for "anti vibration mounts" to see the type of thing I mean (although a lot of the results will probably be for industrial machinery)...

If you try this then sandwich some washers between the head of the screw and the fan feet as well. To prevent the vibration being transferred you need to make sure there is no direct contact between the fan and either the truss or the screws. Go for the softest rubber washers you can find as well (but not so soft that the fan squahes them flat!)

Sponsored Links
You invariably never get rid of all the vibes doing these sort of things. Do the decent thing by your neighbour and spend a few £s and replace your inline with a ceiling mounted fan as far from the adjoining wall as possible. Not worth making an enemy for a few £s.

anyone fitted the airflow icon fans? i've sold loads and even sold myself one, but when it half opens it sounds like a jumbo jet is about to take off!

Yes, couple on months ago. I have the same observations but as you say, its only whilst the iris is opening and I can live with that for the better extraction rate (113 cm per hour down 100mm ducting vs the standard 73-83 or thereabouts).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back