cloakroom light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to change my cloakroom pull switch to wall switch. I note earlier post says this ok but I queried it with electrician in B&Q and he said IEE regs forbid switch within reach of sink. Does anyone have definitive IEE answer to this? Regards

Sponsored Links
It must be suitable for the environment where it is installed, i.e. don't put a normal switch somewhere where it is going to be splashed, otherwise there isn't a problem.
The B&Q fellow is probably getting confused with a bathroom / shower room where there are restrictions of where you can put accessories.

He's wrong. Just wrong. Accessories must be suitable for their working environment (Reg 132-01-07) but a cloakroom is not a special location and a standard plate switch is the norm.

NICEIC Website said:
Domestic kitchens, cloakrooms, bedrooms and toilet areas which may contain a sink or hand basin but do not contain a bath tub or shower are not among the special locations covered in Part 6 of BS 7671. There is usually no reason why such rooms should be considered as locations of increased electric shock risk

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back