Central Heating Recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

We've just bought a new house, in which eventually we'd like to redo the bathroom & attic bedroom (both places where the water tanks are stored for the CH system), ideally without these tanks in place.

Our initial intention was to move in with the CH system as-is, and have the tanks removed, plumbing adjusted etc at a later date, when the cash was in hand to do that and the bathroom at the same time. However, on reflection, it perhaps makes more sense to have all the "infrastructure" work (also going to go through a rewire, fortunately my dad is a sparky, so that helps save some money) done up-front, before we move in / start decorating so that we dont have to move everything / destroy my lovely handiwork at a later stage.

With the requirement for removal of storage tanks to make more space (coupled with the fact that we use very little hot water, just a couple of showers each day and the odd bit of hand washing), a combi boiler seemed the right way to go for us, so am after the following advice / information if you're willing and able?

* Recommendations for heating engineers in the hertfordshire (Letchworth) area.
* Recommendations for boilers (see house info below if it's useful?)
* Any specific questions I ought to ask any heating engineers to sort the gooduns from the badduns?
* An idea of the number of changes which are going to be needed to the plumbing / time it's like to take / cost of installation. If any of that is even close to possible from just my description?

House:
3 storey (attic conversion) house, as follows:
- Ground floor - lounge, kitchen, garage
- 1st floor - lounge, bedroom, bathroom
- 2nd floor (attic) - bedroom

1 radiator in each room, except garage
sink in kitchen and bathroom (along with bath, loo)
electric shower in bathroom (will eventually replace with one which takes water from the combi, with a thermostatic control)
cold-fill dish washer and washing machine in kitchen
boiler in garage (where i would like to keep it)

current CH system: boiler (dont have make/model to hand) takes a gas pipe (wider bore with an adaptor at the boiler to shrink it down?), and a cold water feed, and provides a hot feed out (presumably to copper tank where heat is exchanged to CH and hot water?), in loft is a HUGE cold water tank and a smaller expansion tank for the CH system, programmer currently in bathroom, thermostat on stairs.

Price wise, happy to spend the money to get a decent boiler which will hopefully fail less than a cheapy one, but dont feel the need (unless you tell me it's really worth it?) to go for a top of the line model. When i buy a car, i'm more into reliability, ease of maintenence etc over a posh badge, same applies here :)

A thousand thanks for all and any help you can provide!

Gav.

Sponsored Links
Probably too broad a range of questions for a web forum - better suited to specifics.
Get BG round to give you a quote and their ideas.

Boiler choice is a bit of a lottery, and models change every few months. Just an eg -Some Baxi/Pottertons come with a 5 year guarantee, and Worcester Bosch have a good reputation for service. Everyone has a favourite and there are no up to date league tables.

First, get your mains pressure and flow tested.

GICarey said:
First, get your mains pressure and flow tested.

Is the pressure/flow something BG would do on an initial visit?

If they don't do a static and dynamic pressure/flow test then they are not much cop.

I'll send you an email as I do work out to the herts area.

Sponsored Links
Hi Folks, well, BG visited today, thought i'd post the comments and quotes I recieved here, for comments. Also see piccies posted above if they help at all?

Pressure
Pressure test showed about 2bar / 17l/min when only the outside tap (where tester was connected) was running, dropping to about 1.1bar / 10l/min when the kitchen tap was switched on. During the test, somone else in the terrace (you'll recall it's a shared water main) must have flushed the loo or run a tap, pressure dropped to about 0.8bar.

Combi Decision
BG man said that, whilst Combis were available to run at down to 0.7bar pressure, I probably wouldn't be happy with the system, and I think he's right. He suggested we might consider having a new water main connected directly to the house, new piping plus it's not being shared ought to ensure we have sufficient pressure for a Combi.

Gas pipe (as per pics) is 22mm, and so would need to be upgraded for a combi boiler to be fitted, his measurements showed one run from the lounge front wall to the kitchen rear wall at about 6.7m, and a second run from the kitchen through to the boiler at about another 6.7m. Quoted £162 for this to be done.

Combi Quote
His full quote for fitting a combi (assuming we had the water main upgraded by someone else) was as follows:
£3062 for boiler inc fitting (Worsceter Greenstar 28i)
£162 for gas piping, as above
£135 for a scale reducer
£156 for removal of old boiler & repairing rear wall
£50 for pipe insulation
£356 for 10x extra 15mm pipework (presumably plumbing to taps, etc?)

totalling £3921, but saving £300 (thus £3621) for trading in our boiler assuming we OK'd the quote by 27th of May.

Other Quote
Assuming we didn't get the water main replaced, and thus stuck with a standard condensing boiler, then the quote was as follows:
£2873 for boiler inc fitting (Worsceter Greenstore 24 Ri)
£328 for extra 22mm pipeworks (8 of these)
£382 for installation of new cylinder
£313 for installation of new CWS tank
£143 for sealed system kit (presumably removing need for expansion tank?)
£788 for "conversion to fully pump(might not say fully pump, handwriting is odd!)"
£157 for removal of old boiler, tanks and cylinder & repairing rear wall

totalling £3030 minus £300 (thus £2730) trade in if we just had the boiler replaced and kept the existing cylinder, tanks, etc
or £5169 minus £300 trade in (thus £4869) to change the whole lot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back