Plumbing Jargon - pls help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I have recently bought a new home and would like to do as much as possible myself. Before starting, I would like to completely understand certain pluming jargons. One for instance is the word "trap" - does this refer to the waste outlet pipe? Please help! Thank You, Julie

Sponsored Links
Dear Julie
The trap is the part coming of the sink--wash basin---or bath before the waste pipe.
Ther are many differant sorts, best look on the Screwfix website all will be shown on there.

JonB

Sponsored Links
Hi - Thank you, yes I will definitely be posting further questions. Any idea how long it takes to install a new basin for beginners?! :D

in my experience about 1 month. one week botching it and three weeks waiting for us tradesmen to fit u in.

Trap - what people fall into when confronted with an apparently simple question.

Is the basin a replacement? Anything from 1/2 day to 2 weeks. If you're doing anything for the first time, don't bother about the time it will take or you will never start it.

2 tips..........1 flexi`s with isolating valves for the supplies........2 putty and Boss White round top and bottom of the waste fitting thru` the porcelain,the rubber washers supplied are rubbish.....Please feel free to ignore these "old skool " methods :rolleyes: :LOL: A weekend ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back