RCD Test Button Colour

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I think I remember being told that some RCD test buttons were grey, and some black, and the colour had some meaning. I've recently seen a yellow one. I have an idea I've also seen red ones, perhaps on RCD sockets or adaptors.

Do these colours signify something, and what is it?

Sponsored Links
passive/active?
type of test mechanism?

the ones on my hager RCDs are blue :)

As far as I am aware it is just to match the 'colour scheme' of the manufacturers. Like Hager using blue buttons and Square D using yellow ones (on the split load C.U.s at least) Square D, MK and Merlin Gerin RCBOs are black as are the RCDs of alot of 'non-branded' manufactures. Volex and MK are black. Wylex have both Black and Yellow with the same tripping characteristics.

So either someone was pulling my leg :cry: , or I dreamt it :oops:

Sponsored Links
I may be true. A bit like old wylex or federal electric MCBs but it is not a convention that I have heard of.

does anyone remember if they were a particular colour on the old Voltage operated breakers?

yellow, or occasionally green. But I don't remember. I read it somewhere and my memory isn't that good anymore, so I am probably wrong........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back