automatic air vent on valliant vcw t3w

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i can only get my HOTwater on if i have my heating on question should my expantion tank on back of boiler be full of water or full of air/?

Sponsored Links
If you can only get hot water with the heating on the most likely reason is the diaphragm in the water section is holded/worn.

The expansion vessel should contain air pressurised to about 0.7 Bar (with the system at zero pressure).

It is normal to have to drain a small amount of water out of the vessel on these older vaillant expansion vessels. These are high quality vessels and can easily give a service life of 20 years.

However more than a cupful may indicate a punctured vessel, in this case plumb in an additional vessel onto the system.

Isnt this the Sine 18 with waxstat diverter ?

The diaphragm water flow switch is pretty reliable although the stuffing box can seize up, particularly if the boiler is left unused for a few weeks.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Yep wax stat diverter, Vaillant managed to get the design right where Potterton didin't.

I often find the screw holding on the water section is seized due to a leaking stuffing box. A small flame off the blowlamp sometimes shifts it otherwise down the breakers yard for a lower section.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back