motorized valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I have a double feed indirect system with a three-port diverter valve.CH is working but no HW. I suspect is the valve that has packed up!
My question is:
1) do i have to replace the whole valve or just the motorized head will do??
2)if just the motorized head will do, do i have to empty the system till below the valve or no need for that?
Thank u.

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:
What valve - dyou think they're all the same?!
Hi Chris. That's what i thought. As soon as i see this friend of mine i'll ask him and keep you posted. thank u

Motorized valves come in two flavours: 2-port, known as 'zone valves' (a simple open/closed piece of pipe), and 3-port (a fully controlled T-junction).

There are two varieties of 3-port valve, mid-position and diverter. With a mid-position valve the middle port is connected to flow from the boiler and the water is directed to port 'A', 'A and B' or 'B' as requested. With a diverter the boiler flow goes to either 'A' or 'B', but never both. Alternative names for these valves are (respectively) 'Y-plan' and 'W-plan', after the names Honeywell give to them under their Sundial Plan system.

Sponsored Links
hw should be prority and should spring back there when your heating is off so if your ch is working fine then the valve is maybe just stuck and possibly be freed. either that or the clock maybe faulty or the cyl stat maybe faulty

id listen to bones advice first as its not def its the valve.

There many makes but the common ones could be
A dark blue plastic valve
A silver metal valve
A plastic grey/white valve

any of them look like yours ?

should spring back there
They don't all spring anywhere. As it was implied in the original posting that this might be one which doesn't spring back, I asked what the valve IS.
Before we know that there's not much point speculating...

ok chrisr what 3-port diverter does not spring back just out of interest

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back