fitting rad valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this is the wrong forum.
It was a quick question about a job price (or length) I had a plumber round the other day to quote for a job. I need 3 rad valves replaced (rads are fine, pipework is fine) and one 2 port valve in the airing cupboard replaced. The system will be already drained.

He said it would be most of a day and therefore would be a whole day rate. We had a plumber a while back who fitted a downstairs cloakroom including installing a rad into it where there wasn't one previously, and he did the rad (plus new pipework, brackets etc) in about 2 hours

Could anyone let me know what a reasonable cost or timescale for replacing 3 rad and one 2 port valve (with an empty system)

I won't put my location so nobody thinks I am trying to find a plumber (don't know if that is allowed on here), I just don't want to be ripped off (especially as once he was there, the guy told me he would be able to get his brother round to do it)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Depends on location but I know rounf here no plumber would do it....not enough money in changing a couple of rad valves and a zne valve if the system is already drained.

He has quoted you a lot because he can go round the corner, actually drain a system to do the work and charge a premium for it.

I see your point.

How long should these valves take to replace though?

The minimum time might be an hour for the lot. But I can't remember the last minimum time I did anything in.

Presumably you would like the system refilled - if there's a problem with it, that could take hours.

A day? - sounds like he's using you as the family training ground.

Sponsored Links
You know... I did wonder that myself, once he said his brother could do it

Starting to worry now about the quality of this job. I wonder if it took a couple of hours and no problems, would he then charge me less (doubt it)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back