Potterton Prima F50 trips out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Prima F50 has been giving me a lot of grief of late. In Jan it stopped igniting about half an hour after start up but continued to run, you could smell gas fumes outside. An engineer said it was either the fan or the PCB, he replaced the fan but this did not solve the problem so I replaced the PCB (with a second hand unit) and it worked for about a month. Now it trips its reset switch once or twice a day, I think it does this before it's timed to go on. I see that one engineer suggests that this could be an airflow switch problem on another site, is this likely to be the case?

Sponsored Links
Well an air switch won't cause a problem before the boiler's on...

Perhaps you should get an engineer in. If the Overheat Reset button is popping out then it might be overheating??? That's nothing to do with the fan or the pcb. It sounds like you have, or have had, more than one problem.

Overheating when it should be off and smells of gas sounds as it could be a dangerous situation and I would recommend that its checked by a competent CORGI engineer but not just one who cannot diagnose the fault and changes parts in case that fixes it.

It almost sounds as if the gas valve is leaking when off although thats thankfully rare.

Tony

The gas smell problem has been fixed by the new fan & pcb. I need to try to analyse precisely when the reset button is tripped, it could be an overheating issue. Finding someone who can do more than replace parts is v.difficult, do you know anyone competent in the Lewes/Brighton area?

Sponsored Links
"""it could be an overheating issue"""

Surely, if the overheat stat is operating then why dont you accept that the boiler is overheating?

Does anyone remember if the Prima F has a built in pump over run?

A common cause of tripping the o/h stat is if the boiler goes off and there is no pump over run or gravity circulation.

It could also be over gassing or scaling up. Did the CORGI measure the gas burner pressure?

Tony

I'm happy to accept that it is an overheating problem.

If the button under the boiler that you reset (without having to remove the cover) is the overheat stat then that would appear to be the case. I don't know if the CORGI measured the burner when he installed the fan.

The other issue is that the o/h stat trips at about 95°C but the boiler thermostat will allow the boiler to get up to about 90°C.

A always advise people not to set the boiler stat above "3" and suggest "2½" as suitable.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back