Do you need a soil vent pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a soil vent pipe with internal vent in the loft but I have had to remove the pipe as it was unsightly in the bathroom I am relocating the WC and bath. Is there any way of getting away with no vent pipe on a wc :?:

Sponsored Links
That depends.

There should be a vent on the furthest point from where the soil goes underground.

Intermediate WCs, if you have any, may or not suffer from low pressure, depending on how the pipes run and join. If they do, with the effect of reducing the water seal in the trap (aka U bend), then you may also need a sub-stack capped with an AAV (air admittance valve).

Another point - you shouldn't have a vent that is open to the loft because of the unsavoury, unhealthy, and illegal escape of gases inside the house.

You might have used the wrong word, and perhaps you have an AAV in the loft. This would be legal, but an AAV is not a vent, and you have no vent then you're inviting trouble.

Sorry i meant an aav in the loft. I cannot see any other venting on the system. I want be able to connect the wc pipe to the rest bend under the floor without venting. Is this feasible

Yes, BUT only if you vent the manhole where said pipe comes from :idea: .....and to Building Control satisfaction.........ie. this is a suggestion from me ;)

Sponsored Links
Vent from the manhole Nige?! Did you really mean that?

dazza1, if you don't have a vent to the soil stack then I'd expect you to be encountering smells in the house. :eek:

dazza1 said:
I had a soil vent pipe with internal vent in the loft but I have had to remove the pipe as it was unsightly in the bathroom I am relocating the WC and bath. Is there any way of getting away with no vent pipe on a wc :?:

Yes. Use HepVO traps on the bath and basin and kitchen - all traps converted to HepVo, as you have no other means of venting, but were on an AAV on the stack. HepVo are waterless traps that act as AAVs

http://www.hepworthplumbing.co.uk/Hep pdfs/HepvOTDG.pdf

Water Systems said:
dazza1 said:
Is there any way of getting away with no vent pipe on a wc :?:

Yes. Use HepVO traps on the bath and basin and kitche - all trasp converted to HepVo, as you have no other mean sof ventin, but were on an AAV on tye stack. HepVo are waterless traps that act as AAVs
This is very poor advice. You can't remove the need for a vent, no matter how many AAVs and HepVOs you fit. :rolleyes:

You need to learn more about plumbing and draining before giving advice. Particularly, you need to learn words and understand what they mean.

Softus said:
Water Systems said:
dazza1 said:
Is there any way of getting away with no vent pipe on a wc :?:

Yes. Use HepVO traps on the bath and basin and kitche - all trasp converted to HepVo, as you have no other mean sof ventin, but were on an AAV on tye stack. HepVo are waterless traps that act as AAVs
This is very poor advice. You can't remove the need for a vent, no matter how many AAVs and HepVOs you fit. :rolleyes:

You need to learn more about plumbing and draining before giving advice. Particularly, you need to learn words and understand what they mean.

Drains is not my topic, but I do know that you don't need a vent and can use an AAV, or HepVOs - that is what they are for. Every 4th or 5th house needs a vent and end of sewer lines too - see local council about the finer points.

Read the Hepworth document. It clearly states that HepVo traps can replace an AAV, as in this case, and the vent in a one stack system.

The OP should look into HepVOs further.

Water Systems said:
Drains is not my topic
That much is obvious. :rolleyes:

...but I do know that you don't need a vent and can use an AAV, or HepVOs - that is what they are for.
You don't, you can't, and it isn't.

Softus said:
Water Systems said:
Drains is not my topic
That much is obvious. :rolleyes:

...but I do know that you don't need a vent and can use an AAV, or HepVOs - that is what they are for.
You don't, you can't, and it isn't.

I have the impression you know little about drains and sweet FA about HepVO traps.

Water Systems said:
I have the impression you know little about drains and sweet FA about HepVO traps.
And, as usual, you have utterly the wrong impression. Last week you thought I was an RGI. :rolleyes:

Softus said:
Water Systems said:
And, as usual, you have utterly the wrong impression. Last week you thought I was an RGI. :rolleyes:

I don't believe anything you say as you make things up.

Water Systems said:
I don't believe anything you say as you make things up.
I didn't ask you to believe anything - if you can't handle the truth then there seems no point in you being a member of the forum. I suppose it will help you through your apprenticeship though.

Its great reading the bickering between you two.
I followed the link to the Hepvo plumbing technical design guide. They do state, ‘ the inclusion of an air admittance valve in the waste system is no longer necessary’.
So should this matter be directed to Hepvo?

Softus said:
Vent from the manhole Nige?! Did you really mean that?
I must`ve had a senior moment :oops: I was getting the air inlet (with the mica flap) confused with venting the pipe running @ the bottom of the manhole.at the head of the system :confused:........PS D-I-Yisfun .....that`s waste system not soil/drainage ;) There, back on form and pedantic to boot :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back