Weeds on new lawn - weed killer??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again,

I put some grass seed down along with some top soil where our old patio used to be. The seed has grown very nicely over the last 4 weeks but in the last few days there is a broad leaf weed growing wildly amongst it. Its so dense that i think its going to eventually take over. Is there a weed killer i can use that will not harm the new grass?

Cheers

Tom

Sponsored Links
I would dig it up.
We bought a spray weedkiller that wasn't supposed to kill the grass.
Where the spray went on the grass it killed it though, so you can't always trust what they say on the label.

We only use weedkiller sparingly on our paving slabs/edge of gravel now, we no longer use it near plants we want to keep.

Cheers for that advice - i did wonder about those weed killers. It looks like i may have to dig it up but i havent really got time. I needed the lawn for the summer and just wanted it looking reasonable. I havent got any money to turf either.

try not to use chemicals on new grass (but I cheerfully use hormone lawn weedkiller, such as Verdone, once it's year old)

You will probably find, when you start to cut it regularly, that the weeds won't survive being repeatedly cut back to an inch high. Very few plants can, which is why successful lawn weeds are usually very low-growing.

If you grew it from seed, the best cut for the first couple of times is with shears, as a mower may pull the little grass plants up by their roots until they establish.

See if you can take these big weeds out with a knife.

Sponsored Links
Cheers John, i will try and cut them tonight. It'd take me a day to cut the weeds individually but i think you are right in that if i cut them regularly they may die. I hope so anyway. I cant even identify the weed, i've never seen it before! Could it be possible that it was in the top soil i bought?

Could be, and disturbing the soil made them grow.

Some people, on preparing a seed bed, like to leave it a week or so to let the weeds germinate, then give it a light spray with paraquat (non-persistent weedkiller) just before the seeded crop. Farmers even spray after sowing, because they know what day the crop will start to come up, so they do it the day before.

I bet thats what it is then. The weeds are literally where the top soil went. I suppose its my own fault for doing a "rush job"

Cheers for the info John

Tom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back