Gas boiler located in wooden shed, regs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Is there an regs which would stop you having a gas boiler installed in a wooden constucted out building / shed?

I seem to remember somewhere in the past that boilers had to be fitted in a solid contructed building, is this correct?

cheers

Rob

Sponsored Links
Seen plenty of boilers in sheds, provided you fire proof, insulate and add frost protection, your real problem will be piping into the house, if the shed is remote from the house you could consider "Flexilan" pipe and bury it in the ground or construct a duct and insulate them.

What about the reg called common sense..One went in in a shed on a main street in Harrogate about a year ago (Knaresborough road near the Hospital if you know the area). I saw various plumbers and Corgi blokes stood staring and pointing at the instalation and pipework, and laughing their heads off. i believe that British gas took photos and featured it in one of there magazines as "Do not do this" case. Apart from the damp,cold, security of the location , there is the fire risk,flueing and electrics to deal with. a big no no really, unless you want to give us engineers a smile once in a while.

The boiler i notice was moves to the house a few months back....where it belongs.

timber framed buildings?are these not big sheds?plenty of regs regarding installs for these buildings

Sponsored Links
Ever heard of outdoor models, a shed is more at risk than your loft, infact I know where I would sooner stick it.

doitall said:
Ever heard of outdoor models, a shed is more at risk than your loft, infact I know where I would sooner stick it.

so do I.........

Exactly where does this boiler attach to in the shed?..........a moutning frame perhaps but thats some weight on the thin flimsy floor.

let me know where you install it, I reckon i can be in,have if off the wall and installed in a customers house in 1/2 a day.

a wooden constucted out building / shed?

The constuction can be a strong as is needed, can be insulated, boarded inside whatever, it certainly wouldn't be a problem as far as I'm concerned. As I said we have hundreds of externally boiler houses on our books, including a few wooden ones

It could be done complying with the regs, if the pannel you mount it on has been securly fitted, ie not just agains a thin wall of the shed, It would reqire a timber frame kit for the flue, and would need a non combustable sheet behind the boiler against the wood.

As the other guys sed, more hassle and uslessness than its really worth,
not to mention the fact that if the sheds not right next to the house youll be loosing efficiency from the pipes under ground id imagin, youd need to lay the gas pipe as per the regs.

Would consider just finding somewhere in the house, most new boilers can be fitted nearly anywhere now with the correct flue kits.

But the answer to your question is no, as far as im aware nothing to actaully stop you going ahead with it.

hi

Thanks for the responses, some good information.

It is not me that is installing the thing it is someone I know who is installing it to heat a large garden pond (home to several large koi carp). I just thought I would check it out for him to be on the safe side.

Many thanks

Rob

It wouldn't cost much to build a breeze block boiler housing unit for a koi carp outfit. We fitted one for a professional koi outfit, it went in a small single breeze building that also housed the filters.

Depends where they live but if they have koi carp they are unlikely to live in the areas where you don't put the cover on the boiler until the house is occupied, so there is no harm in the shed idea, just as stated make sure the boiler is mounted on non combustibles and that the flue is correct distance from combustible material. Of course with condensers (which they are not forced to use in this situation afaik) the outer part of flue is very cool but must follow MI's even if they are only a photocopy of the building regs because they can't be bothered to update their paperwork to match the new working condition of boilers. No good waiting for building regs to update.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back