Help! hole in kitchen sink.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I really need some help as I am relatively in experienced in DIY.

I have a hole in my plastic sink about the size of a walnut where my son threw in a fork with considerable force!
It's in the bottom left hand corner.

The sink is plastic.

Is there any way to cheaply repair the sink, or is it better to buy a replacement?

Many thanks, most gratefully.

Dai

Sponsored Links
Buy a replacement....as a short term fix you could use high modular silicone and fix a piece of plastic over it. The only tru fix would be replace the sink............it sounds as if the sink you have is pretty poor quality so a direct replacement wont cost much.

Try your insurance company, kitchen sinks can be hard to replace, once the old one comes out you cannot guarentee damaging the worktop. Then you have the hassle of finding a new sink to fit the hole etc yes you can go bigger but aren't normally a straight swap. I have know people break their sink , inform their insurance and end up with new sink, tap and worktops all because it the worktop was was damaged on its way out. Not bad for £50 excess. At least then you can thank your child rather than thrash him half to death. :LOL:

Thanks HarrogateGas, for your quick reply.

Do sinks come in standard sizes?
If so, what are these?
Is it measured by the size of the hole cut into the work surface that the sink accomodates?

again,
Many thanks

Dai

Sponsored Links
Yeah they are pretty standard with the odd funny one off sizes thrown in now and again but these are pretty rare. I disagree with the prevoius poster......sinks are easy to fit and not a lot can go wrong, and really a nice DIY job. Just measure the hole in the work top and the sink size and head to you local B&Q warehouse, they have a good selection and youll find something that will swap for your current sink. If its 1 or 2 mm bigger then its no hardship to shave a little of with a jigsaw.

Also is it worth claiming on insurance when your premium the following year is likely to be twice the price of a kitchen sink? id save your insurance for when it really is needed.

HarrogateGas said:
Also is it worth claiming on insurance when your premium the following year is likely to be twice the price of a kitchen sink? id save your insurance for when it really is needed.

If you are fitting it yourself possibly not worth claiming, if however you are getting a pro to do it, then yes it may be worth it.

Measured the size of the hole in the unit. It seems to be 36" x 18" although it's difficult to tell as it's hard to get right in to measure. Anyone know if this is a standard size?

Cheers
Dai

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back