FENCE POST ANCHORING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I use bolt-down fixings to attach wooden fence posts to non-mortared concrete patio slabs?

Sponsored Links
Erm, yes, but not if you want the fence to stay up!

KGARDEN, need more info, for a low height fence should be okay

I think it will go over when the wind blows. Is there a reason why you don't want to dig holes in the ground?

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks everyone for replying to my question about using bolt-down fixings and patio slabs. The fence is a picket fence about 90cm high, and there will be a gate too. The reason I was hoping to attach the posts to the patio and not dig holes was because the patio isn't very big (200cm x 200cm) and I'm reluctant to lose any patio area by removing the slabs to dig the holes if it isn't necessary. I thought about cutting the slabs so as to lose as little space as possible, but I've been told I'd need a grinder.

My 'plan B' is - The patio is elevated, and there is a conrete frame around the patio which is about 10 cm high, can anyone advise me as to whether it would be possible to drive a bolt through the posts and into the concrete from the side instead? (The concrete is about 10 cm thick.)

Any further help much appreciated. Thanks -

KGARDEN said:
My 'plan B' is - The patio is elevated, and there is a concrete frame around the patio which is about 10 cm high, can anyone advise me as to whether it would be possible to drive a bolt through the posts and into the concrete from the side instead? (The concrete is about 10 cm thick.)
100 mm is hardly a lot of masonry, I'd be looking for two Rawlbolts at 250mm or wider centres to hold a 70mm square x 900mm high post. A single bolt will mean that the fence might fold flat or break apart if, for example, someone were to fall onto it (and accidents do happen).

Scrit

You could bolt the posts to the slabs or the mortar which would stop the bottoms moving around.You could probably brace the fence panels to stop the posts moving sideways, is there a handy wall that you could use to attach a brace higher up the post to stop it moving in and out at the top?

You really need to fix the post either side of the gate properly as they will take the most punishment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back