Boiler powered from a normal plug socket, Bodge job??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Just a quick question really.
Had a plumber fit new c/h and water pipes as Ive never had central heating before.
He placed the boiler in the kitchen and used a standard plug socket to power it, for what i thought was temporary cos thats what he'd said.
Now he returns to finish the job off and all hes done is left the Boiler plugged in the same place :confused:

Now is it normal to have a Boiler which heats the water and c/h plugged in the same place where I plug my kettle into?? Plus it looks ****e :evil:

Whats the norm for this? Looks a bodge to me.

Please advise

Thanks

Will

Sponsored Links
The boiler is a fixed appliance, so it would be correct to have it on a fused spur, and this is normal practice. Was it mentioned in the price quotation/specification of work?

It is quite likely that the socket is on a ring, in which case the FCU could be fed from it, and placed adjacent.

Possibly your boiler installer is reluctant to do electrical work in kitchens, either because he can't be bothered, or because he's not sufficiently qualified (there are regulations involved though I believe there is a lower level of qualification required for someone doing minor works in support of their main trade).

It is 'not to current standards' which it shouldn't be as its a brand new installation.

Sponsored Links
although i fix fused spurs , i would still prefere to have boilers on a plug.when u pull out the plug , u know its dead.went to a job where a fused spur had been wired wrong way around. only for checking i could of been dead.

Whilst its good practice to fit a fused spur to supply a boiler I am not aware of any regulations which actually require this. All that is required is a means of isolating the appliance from the supply and pulling a plug is the safest way!

I would therefore not classify a plugged in boiler as NTS.

However in this case it all depends on what was contracted to be done.

Tony

it may be the plumber is not part p registered (search for part p) so plugging it in is acceptable

plug is ok only if stated in boiler Manufacturers Instructions..is a 3amp fuse fitted.?
fitting a fused spur means a qualfied part p person is required who will issue you with an electrical certificate.
so fitting a fused spur is easy but many extra electrical checks will be done after to ensure your house wiring is correct and up to date and you may be suprised to find out your existing house wiring is poor and you need to spend more money.
i suppose your pipes are also not bonded including bathroom radiator.
ask your installer is the boiler installed to BS7671.

so you get what you pay for...

most if not all M I require a fixed fused spare. so not to M I is not up to regs.

Actually, many / most boiler MIs require connection via a double-pole switch with a certain minimum contact gap. This is to ensure complete electrical isolation of the boiler for maintenance etc. As it happens, the switch in a fused spur meets this requirement.
But a normal plug switched off and removed obviously has an 'infinite' contact gap...
The other requirement that's sometimes included is 'fixed wiring only', which means exactly what it says.
Apart from neatness, the only other reason I can think of for this is to ensure that the power cable is kept away from hot pipes and sharp edges.
Part P is required to INSTALL a fused spur but NOT to connect to an existing one.

Cheers for the replies guys.
I will spk to him about it as I'm not happy about it but I doubt he'll do much about it :(

Thanks again.

Interesting subject. I agree with fitz1 regarding pulling the plug when working on the appliance to be sure of ones safety. However, speaking to a sparks who lives opposite me the other day on this very subject, he says that the reason for fitting spurs is so the earth can't be disconnected, as with a plug. Still prefer the plug myself though.

Usually switched socket is only single pole, so the neutral isn't disconnected when just switched off, contrary to MI. Some modern sockets are double pole switched with 3mm contact separation, strangely the unswitched soket is preferred as the plug has to be removed to "switch" off.

Anything connected to a fixed connection unit (fused spur) is part of the fixed wiring, so is covered by BS7671, Part P, and is notifiable to Building Control if it's in a kitchen. Installer must issue "Installation certificate", not "minor works" for the same reasons.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back