DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Heated Towel Rail/Airing Cupboard - Combi Boiler Possible?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
lummocks

from United Kingdom

Joined: 26 Nov 2004
Posts: 93
Location: United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 5:33 pm Reply with quote

Now the summer has nearly hit us and the heating has finally been turned off for the first time since we have had the combi fitted i'm realising another shortfall of not having a hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard.

When we had the combi fitted I asked the installer to fit me a small radiator in the airing cupboard so we could still get some use from it...now of course the heating is off its useless!

I was thinking about ways of somehow possibly wiring a stat in the airing cupboard in Parallel with the room stat downstairs and 2 valves so the heating will come on and just divert the water through the radiator in the cupboard and even possibly the rad/towel rail in the bathroom...is this kind of thing possible? what kind of valves would be available for this aplication, of course they would have to be electronic I would have thought and also would involve a bity of electrical trickery to pull it off but I think I can handle that side of things.

Any one done this kind of thing before?

Thanks for your help in advance! icon_biggrin.gif
Back to top
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
lummocks

from United Kingdom

Joined: 26 Nov 2004
Posts: 93
Location: United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 5:35 pm Reply with quote

i'm also thinking the demand from the downstairs room stat would have to over ride anything in the airing cupboard system...i'm sure thats not a problem!
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
doitall

from United Kingdom

Joined: 08 Jan 2005
Posts: 18963
Location: Bath,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 1530 times

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 5:46 pm Reply with quote

Piece of cake icon_rolleyes.gif

Install a flowshare valve and connect the towel rail to the hot water side of a programmer
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
lummocks

from United Kingdom

Joined: 26 Nov 2004
Posts: 93
Location: United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 5:51 pm Reply with quote

icon_biggrin.gif icon_eek.gif

Can you tell me more! How are they plumbed in? Are they electrical valves?
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
doitall

from United Kingdom

Joined: 08 Jan 2005
Posts: 18963
Location: Bath,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 1530 times

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 6:09 pm Reply with quote

lummocks wrote:
icon_biggrin.gif icon_eek.gif

Can you tell me more! How are they plumbed in? Are they electrical valves?


http://content.honeywell.com/uk/homes/systems.htm

Look up Y plan
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
meldrew's_mate

from British Virgin Islands

Joined: 04 Oct 2005
Posts: 555
Location: British Virgin Islands

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:41 pm Reply with quote

doitall wrote:
Piece of cake icon_rolleyes.gif

Install a flowshare valve and connect the towel rail to the hot water side of a programmer


And you could route port B of the valve to a hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard, and do away with the radiator icon_wink.gif
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
breezer

from United Kingdom

Joined: 03 Jan 2003
Posts: 23328
Location: Sussex,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 27 times

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 12:46 am Reply with quote

meldrew's_mate wrote:
doitall wrote:
Piece of cake icon_rolleyes.gif

Install a flowshare valve and connect the towel rail to the hot water side of a programmer


And you could route port B of the valve to a hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard, and do away with the radiator icon_wink.gif


what hot water cylinder, he now has a combi
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
lummocks

from United Kingdom

Joined: 26 Nov 2004
Posts: 93
Location: United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 3:43 am Reply with quote

doitall wrote:
lummocks wrote:
icon_biggrin.gif icon_eek.gif

Can you tell me more! How are they plumbed in? Are they electrical valves?


http://content.honeywell.com/uk/homes/systems.htm

Look up Y plan


I can't see how this would work with a combi boiler!

Anyone? icon_confused.gif
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
oilman

from United Kingdom

Joined: 16 Sep 2003
Posts: 7965
Location: United Kingdom
Thanked: 26 times

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:27 am Reply with quote

Treat it as another heating zone.

Seperate zones are required by building regs now, so it's nothing difficult, just expense.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
doitall

from United Kingdom

Joined: 08 Jan 2005
Posts: 18963
Location: Bath,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 1530 times

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:59 am Reply with quote

Just stick the flowshare valve in the heating flow and pretend the hot water port goes to the cylinder, you could even have a towel rail in the bathroom off the same circuit.

Wiring would require an programmer thats suitable for Hgt/Hw and control for the airing cupboard will be another room stat or a cylinder stat attached to the rad
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
HarrogateGas

from United Kingdom

Joined: 14 Dec 2005
Posts: 944
Location: Yorkshire,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 8 times

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 4:06 pm Reply with quote

be carefull, you may find you boiler has nuisence overheat problems, espeically if its not fully modulating. Bear in mind your potentially going to be chucking about 28kw of heat round a radiator the size of a tea tray. The boiler physically cant dump the amount of heat generatted round such a small rad and over heat problems are on the cards.


Id consider a small electric panal heater, i would be ceaer to run than your combi in summer and simpler,cheaper to fit.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
lummocks

from United Kingdom

Joined: 26 Nov 2004
Posts: 93
Location: United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:16 pm Reply with quote

HarrogateGas wrote:
be carefull, you may find you boiler has nuisence overheat problems, espeically if its not fully modulating. Bear in mind your potentially going to be chucking about 28kw of heat round a radiator the size of a tea tray. The boiler physically cant dump the amount of heat generatted round such a small rad and over heat problems are on the cards.


Id consider a small electric panal heater, i would be ceaer to run than your combi in summer and simpler,cheaper to fit.


Good point, this has crossed my mind...i was wondering! icon_surprised.gif
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
doitall

from United Kingdom

Joined: 08 Jan 2005
Posts: 18963
Location: Bath,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 1530 times

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:30 pm Reply with quote

lummocks wrote:
HarrogateGas wrote:
be carefull, you may find you boiler has nuisence overheat problems, espeically if its not fully modulating. Bear in mind your potentially going to be chucking about 28kw of heat round a radiator the size of a tea tray. The boiler physically cant dump the amount of heat generatted round such a small rad and over heat problems are on the cards.


Id consider a small electric panal heater, i would be ceaer to run than your combi in summer and simpler,cheaper to fit.


Good point, this has crossed my mind...i was wondering! icon_surprised.gif


What had crossed your mind, provided you have an open circuit (which is controled by the stat) Then all you have is a standard as fitted to most boilers by-pass circuit. The boiler will modulate the same as always, and provided the pump is working and over-runs I can't see the problem.,

Consider what happen in the hot water mode. The boiler delivers full power to the hot taps with no circulation
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
lummocks

from United Kingdom

Joined: 26 Nov 2004
Posts: 93
Location: United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:40 pm Reply with quote

rite I see, so there would be no reason why I can't just turn all the rads off in the rest of the house including the one with lsv's and rely on the trv on the rad in the airing cupboard?

The boiler is (if it matters) a little worcester greenstar 25 cdi if I remember rightly.

Actually really impressed with it...even showers are great especially after I fitted the smaller spray plate!
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
HarrogateGas

from United Kingdom

Joined: 14 Dec 2005
Posts: 944
Location: Yorkshire,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 8 times

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 3:20 pm Reply with quote

doitall wrote:
lummocks wrote:
HarrogateGas wrote:
be carefull, you may find you boiler has nuisence overheat problems, espeically if its not fully modulating. Bear in mind your potentially going to be chucking about 28kw of heat round a radiator the size of a tea tray. The boiler physically cant dump the amount of heat generatted round such a small rad and over heat problems are on the cards.


Id consider a small electric panal heater, i would be ceaer to run than your combi in summer and simpler,cheaper to fit.


Good point, this has crossed my mind...i was wondering! icon_surprised.gif


What had crossed your mind, provided you have an open circuit (which is controled by the stat) Then all you have is a standard as fitted to most
boilers by-pass circuit. The boiler will modulate the same as always, and provided the pump is working and over-runs I can't see the problem.,

Consider what happen in the hot water mode. The boiler delivers full power to the hot taps with no circulation




But a rad small enough to fit in an airing cupboard is not going to lose the heat quick enough. Yes the boiler will modulate, but will it modulate quick enough before it over heats due to 25kw of heat being thrown into about 3 litres of water??


Yes when on hotwater large amounts of heat are generated, although there is some circulation (not none as you state) with the odd boiler exception. But at the same the heat is being transfered to the cold mains water passing through the boiler thus constantly cooling the boiler.



I wouldnt do it or even suggest it, its asking for trouble.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Similar Topics   Replies   Views   Posted 
Electric Heated Rail/ Radiator in Airing Cupboard 5 560 Mon May 26, 2008 8:06 pm
Towel and Airing Cupboard radiator, timeclock and stat? 2 500 Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:15 pm
Put combi boiler in outside loo or bathroom airing cupboard? 24 5020 Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:33 pm
Gas Alpha Combi Boiler in Airing Cupboard Ventilation????? 11 8760 Sat May 24, 2008 1:09 pm
combi fitted in an airing cupboard airing cupboard. 11 1120 Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:52 pm


 
DIYnot
Find an Expert | Find a Supplier | Search DIYnot.com
Network | Advertising | Newsletter
DIY | DIY How To | @home | DIY Wiki | DIY Forum
By using this site you agree to our Terms of Service / Disclaimer.
Please read our Privacy Policy. Copyright © 2000-2014 DIYnot Limited.