single pipe central heating systems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have put towel radiator on a single pipe central heating system and it does not work. i have connected one pipe to the base of the radiator and one pipe to comes out vertically at the top of the radiator then bends 90 degrees then another 90 degrres and then down vertically and back into the single pipe. I also put to cut off valves at on each ipe just after they tee off the single pipe so i could remove the radiatore easily if required.

anyone any ideas how to make it work

Sponsored Links
I would suggest to rethink your pipe runs, those two 90 bends are a balck spot for airlocks. i suggest this may be part of your problem.

No experience of this type of system but logic suggests that resistance to flow along the main pipe is so low compared to that through the rad and the contorted return that the water prefers to flow via the main pipe. (I'm assuming that air in the rad is not the problem.)

Are you getting any heat at all into the radiator?

Why do you not take the return down from the bottom of the rad at the other end?

If you could restrict flow in main pipe by introducing a valve then you might be able to induce enough water to flow through the radiator by balancing the flows.

Sponsored Links
Stick an email in your profile or send me an email and i'll knock up a drawing

Get rid of the "cut-off valves"

Make sure the radiator valves are suitable for one pipe systems.

Make sure the new pipes to the radiator are of sufficient size.

Normal TRV's are not suitable for one pipe systems - too restrictive.

Make sure the system is balanced.

On one pipe systems the radiators work by convection currents flowing from the one pipe and around the radiator (ie completely different to two pipe systems).

Bottom tappings, no valves...........22mm pipe :idea:

I trust the two pipes coming off the one pipe are tee'd in a fair distance apart? 600mm would be good.

Too close together and you will get no flow.

The advice re non restrictive (or better still, only one) radiator valves is good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back