cooker circuit cable size

dsr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am about to put a cooker circuit in my home but i am unsure what size cable to use .i do not know what size cooker i am going to get.would i be best to run 6mm just in case i get a larger cooker or will this cause problems if i get a lower rated cooker

Sponsored Links
Rule of thumb.
6mm (unless excessive cable run or derating factors come into play) is usually OK for cooker up to 13KW with a 30A rewireable or 30/32A MCB
Higher than that would require 10mm.
In any event if you end up with a cooker of lower ratings than the circuits installed then you could put a lower MCB/fuse in place.
The formula to apply diversity for cookers is:-
The first 10 amps
30% of the remainder
Plus 5 amp if a socket outlet is present on the control unit (meant for occaisional use of a kettle but you find folk use them for washers/dryers so I dont usually fit them with sockets on)
If in a domestic situation it then comes under Part P,
if in a kitchen then it becomes notifiable under Part P,
If not in a kitchen the fact that a cooker is present probably defines that area as a kitchen anyway under Part P

I know diversity is perfectly allowable, but I would ignore it and plump for a circuit that can carry flc.

The Electrician's Guide to the Building Regulations gives a 6mm2 cable (CUU with s/o) suitable for carrying 32A for a maximum length of 40m. However, EFL must be no more than 1.2 (type B) or 1.5 (type 1).

10mm2 can be used for 40A circuit. Same max length applies. EFL 0.96 (B) and 1.2 (1).

Both these calculations are worked out on Installation Methods 1, 3, 4, 6, & 15.

Same situations as above, but with BS1361 fuse gives 42m max length and 0.96 Ohm for 30A circuit, and for the 45A circuit, 50m max length on PME and 10m on TN-S, both with max loops of 0.8.

Sponsored Links
dsr said:
what is meant by part p

Part P of the building regulations which became law on 1st Jan 2005.

There`s plenty on this forum about it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back