Repair or replace a kitchen unit door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friends kitchen unit door recently suffered a setback when some vacuous sod decided they could sit on said door in the open position – yes they were ****ed at the time. This forced the two top hinge screws to be ripped out of their holes in the side panel of the unit. In fairness to the would-be sitter he did try to make amends by filling the original holes and attempting to reattach the door. But this clearly was insubstantial; the doors are a heavy 18mm mdf construction.

What I have tried to do is to create a new cylinder hole further down the door so that the hinge can be srewed into newly drilled holes at a different point on the panel. In truth it is a bit of a crude effort as the new hole cannot be simply made with a holesaw as these have pilot drills so I have also used a Dremel tool to remove some of the mdf.
In the process I have managed to pierce the white gloss plastic coating in two separate places. This will be visible when the door is closed and will look unsightly.

Therefore I have two questions:

1. Is there any way an invisible repair can be made to the gloss plastic finish
of the door?

or

2. Is there somewhere that sells kitchen unit doors that I could contact?

I hope my description is adequate as I do not have access to a digital camera. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
wow!...if only I'd know about such an item earlier that really would have made life easier. Thanks anyway, All.

Still reckon I will have to get another door, though.

With it being a white gloss effect it should be reasonably new ???
If so a replacement should be fairly easy to sought, tyr Roundel kitchens or symphony kitchens or Hygena, search under google and you should find,
Incidentally whereabouts in UK are you ?

Sponsored Links
I will check out all of your suggestions Scooby, thanks. I am in North West London by the way. Cheers. ;)

Most kitchen unit doors have 4 hinges hole which are universal with a cover plate on the other side if you're lucky, if so, turn it round but door handle position may be a problem though.

No, that cannot be done in this case, Masona, 'cos it's asymetrical. I will simply have to get hold of a replacement door. Damn nuisance, but it really is my own fault for offering to fix it in the first place. Thanks anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back