Quote from BG for new boiler.Don't know if it's justifiable!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've currently got a Sime Super 90 Plus boiler. It's big, it's old and the DHW is rubbish.

Having said that, it needs a new diverter valve (I replaced it last year, but the replacement (brand new) was also faulty - I didn't return it because it was better than the old one, it was only £25, and I couldn't be bothered).

Knowing that the boiler is old and inefficient, I thought we'd get a quote from British Gas for a new boiler - they've got a £300 trade in deal on at the moment.

So, the BG bloke did all the obligatory slagging off about my current boiler (it's not THAT bad!) and he gave us a quote of £3198 (inc the £300 discount) broken down as follows:

Worcester 28i Junior boiler with the pipe flushing (whatever it's called!), wireless controller and installation: £2690

Vertical flue kit: £380

ME bonding (earthing for the copper pipes - you see, I DO pay attention): 133

General other building work: £145

Replacing 15mm copper pipe with 22mm copper pipe: £150

The reason for the last bit is that I'm told the pipe going from the meter to the boiler isn't wide enough (it does take a bizarre route around the house).

So, does this price sound reasonable (I intend to get other quotes)? Also, if I got the DV changed and had my 15mm gas pipe replaced with 22mm, would my Sime work as well as the brand new boiler but be about £2800 cheaper? Is it really worth the extra £2800 for a wireless controller, a slightly smaller boiler and a bit more efficiency?

Answers on a postcard please....

Thanks,

Bob

Sponsored Links
Most Corgy's can knock 25% of BG price.

The system has to be upgraded to the new regs now so will always be more expensive than a straight swop

Cheers, if at present the 15mm pipe goes (approximately) 30m, and I got it replaced with 22mm pipe going (approximately) 12m, will I actually notice a significant difference to the DHW capability of the SIME boiler (once I've had the DV changed)?

Even with a fully working DV, the DHW took ages to get hot and never provided a particularly fast flow rate of hot water.

Bob

Sponsored Links
holybob.

I doubt if the gas pipe is that long that 22mm would be large enough.

Total length of gas pipe from the meter to boiler etc and in what order.

How many bends.

Depending on the Kw rating of the boiler, why not try re running the supply pipe in 28mm for about half the run, then 22mm for the remainder?
This will do two things:
a) Provide you with enough gas to the appliance and most probably cure your water problem
b) If, in the future you decide to change the boiler, the gas supply will be suitable anyway.

holybob , i live in st helens and would do that work a lot cheaoer than BG

Thanks holybob, we do enjoy seeing BG quotes!
Get some more quotes.
Your gas pipe would have to be increased in size but it may be making NO difference to your HW at the moment. Time your gas meter with HW on full. 1 cu ft in 36 secs would be about right assuming 90 means 90,000 Btu/hr - I haven't looked.

Your boiler is probably quite fixable, probably suffering from sludge in the system, which can be sorted out

Now how is the BG fitter going to get his free holiday

you spoilsport

OP - use BG at your bank balance's peril

Thanks again all,

Yes - 90 is 90,000btu. And yes, the meter goes at about 1 cu ft every 36-37 seconds.

I think I'll get someone out who knows what they're talking about (and isn't targetted on selling boilers!!!!) to see if my current system can just be overhaulled and tweaked to run like new.

I don't think you can PM on these forums - Fitz1: if you're interested in giving me a quote (I live in Oldham), Cheers,

Bob

And get your solicitor on standby to sue 'em when it all goes t**s up.

Off to my third meeting on Friday (acting as consultant for a very disgruntled BG customer)

Dispute has been going on for a few years.

It beats getting 'yer hands dirty - just sit round the table and watch em skirm. :LOL:

holybob said:
I think I'll get someone out who knows what they're talking about (and isn't targetted on selling boilers!!!!)

lol, but you asked them for a quote :rolleyes:

raden said:
Now how is the BG fitter going to get his free holiday

you spoilsport

By fitting boilers at the weekend with boiler manufacturers incentives....the only free holiday on bg is a bank holiday

raden said:
OP - use BG at your bank balance's peril

Take it the recon boards Bg use don't come from you then? ;)

>>lol, but you asked them for a quote

Good point.... but it would have been refreshing to hear him say:

'Actually, I've got a much cheaper and easier solution than buying a new boiler.....'

Did you see that pig just fly past?

;)

Bob

from ur first post ur obviously not happy with ur old boiler. yes it can be fixed, but if ur going to fork out cash to repair something ur not happy with and is old anyway , better putting the money towards something that u will be happy with and will save u money in future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back