Quote from BG for new boiler.Don't know if it's justifiable!

holybob said:
>>lol, but you asked them for a quote

Good point.... but it would have been refreshing to hear him say:

'Actually, I've got a much cheaper and easier solution than buying a new boiler.....'

Did you see that pig just fly past?

;)

Bob

Not going to happen Bob, you asked for and got a quoting engineer, when you actually wanted a breakdown engineer. Bg also use a servicing engineer and an installation engineer :D

Sponsored Links
Holybob, you can put an email address in your profile for people to contact you

fitz1 said:
from ur first post ur obviously not happy with ur old boiler. yes it can be fixed, but if ur going to fork out cash to repair something ur not happy with and is old anyway , better putting the money towards something that u will be happy with and will save u money in future.

True, but with a new DV I might be happy with my current boiler. And the BG quote was errm..... a little more than expected. When i can get a new DV relatively cheaply, i'd have to be fairly narked off with the old boiler for it to cost me over £3K!

Bob

Sponsored Links
Does age matter fitz 1 I would have thought the best way was to see the thing and then make an opinion. :rolleyes:

fitz1 said:
how old is the boiler , rads and pipework.

Hmm..... don't honestly know. I'd guess that the boiler and rads were done at the same time (guessing 20 years ago).

Presumably the pipework was done at the same time (is this a logical assumption?)

Fitz - do you fancy making the trip to Oldham or should i contact a local heating engineer?

age can help with working out cost effectivness.you yourself will know from experience combis dont last a long time compared to the likes of the old vulcans or spacesavers.

"Take it the recon boards Bg use don't come from you then?"

only a few (like Xmas eve when they were desperate and I got one of the local ones out of the doo doos) - barstewards !

How am I going to afford a holiday this year ?

raden said:

Perhaps you should dip in to that 750k turnover, if that can't get you a week in weston I think you should source your knackered kit cheaper....anyone want my broken fans and boards :?: :?:

i would look for a heating engineer up there. seek recomendations from other people . ask engineer for all system options along with price.what price was u expecting to pay.

ollski said:
raden said:

Perhaps you should dip in to that 750k turnover, if that can't get you a week in weston I think you should source your knackered kit cheaper....anyone want my broken fans and boards :?: :?:

750 ?

where did you get that from ?
I went to Weston once ... and survived

Firstly, a genuine Sime DV is about £90 not £25!

Secondly, I went this evening to a broken Sime boiler.

The BG man told her she either needed a power flush ( even though it had a Magnaclean ) or a new boiler. He then offered to fit a new boiler for her "on the side" for cash!

She immediately cancelled her BG maintenance contract and later called me!

I will sort it out for her tomorrow.

Tony

raden said:
750 ?

where did you get that from ?
I went to Weston once ... and survived

I don't know mate, one of your earlier posts, may have been more but i don't get bogged down in specifics.

Agile said:
The BG man told her she either needed a power flush ( even though it had a Magnaclean ) or a new boiler. He then offered to fit a new boiler for her "on the side" for cash!

Can't win can they Tone?...Bg too expensive, job on the side too cheap. What do these people want??

Magnaclean is a useful tool in removing free particles, but certainly does not necessarily mean a powerflush is not required.

I went to a 78 year old customer last week. She has an open flue Kingfisher thats been on BG service for the last 5 years (boiler is about 14 years old).

Latest BG engineer AR'd it since the ventillation is totally insufficient but told her she needed a new boiler because the regs have changed.

Since the boiler will outlive her I'm back there to stick in compartment vents and core the wall next week.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back