light fitting just stopped working - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, am new to this site, so bear with me.

I spent the afternoon in B&Q buying new paint etc to decorate bathroom tomorrow, got home, and decided to change lightbulb in bathroom to 150W one, as friend suggested, so I would have great light to paint by. I removed 60W bulb that was in there, and put in 150W bulb and it wouldn't work, it didn't even come on and go off again, like the bulb had blown. So... I put the 60W bulb back in and it won't work now. I tried another (new) 60W bulb and that won't work either! Has putting the 150W bulb in blown the system??

I am without light in my bathroom, have not a single clue about electrics, and I need to start decorating tomorrow, complete with light! Help!

Sponsored Links
it could be a million things and you admit leccy aint your thing, its a job for a sparks im afraid, and if your in or close to london its gunna cost you the earth, my advise would be give your mate a tellin off for giving you wrong 'advise'(you cant put anything higher than 100w in a standard fitting)
what type of light fitting is it? there may be a few things we could suggest, if its a normal pendant type fitting, check the connections, with power off and have you checked the fuses/ mcb's at the bord?
AR

Try these things in this order...
find a bulb that you know works and try that first.
if that doesn't work check the fuse but this is not likely to be the problem if all other lights work
now take out the fuse which supplies that circuit, (likely to be one which controls other lights in the area of your bathroom, if you are in doubt switch off all the power), then unscrew the ceiling rose and check for loose connections
if none of that works you will probably need to call in a prof.

hope that helps

Thanks guys for the speedy responses. I can't BELIEVE I changed the bulb. It's just a regular light fitting. I don''t know the first thing about fuses. Oh joy, and yes I do live in London... I will try the things you suggest though (and yes, I will turn the power off)....
Argh, why is nothing ever simple?!

Sponsored Links
god knows! where abouts in london?
if you dont know what to do when you unscrew the pendant, take a pic and post it here, we will be able to help, otherwise its a spark, on emergency pay.... :D

Ok, was a bit flummoxed by the fuse board, so decided to turn electricity off and unscrew light fitting and put it back together, turned electricity back on, and voila, hey presto it works again - hurrah!
Feel free to delete this posting now, thanks!
:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back