What bagless vacuum cleaner??!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
Can anyone recommend me a good bagless cleaner. Are Dysons still the favourite or are there any other more reasonably priced cleaners that do the same job??
Thanks
Alison

Sponsored Links
Dysons are fashionable but not very reliable (if you read the Which reports on Vacuum cleaners over several years, they always say they can't make the Dyson a Best Buy because of poor reliability).

Out of interest, why do you want a bagless one? You will get dusty when you dip the muck into your bin. Is it because you like watching hairs, toenails and dead spiders spinning round?

blainey said:
Are Dysons still the favourite
Near me I have a shop called "Vacuum Hospital shop" and on the top shelf, it's all Dysons 2nd hand models reconditioned ready for sell. They put it on the top high shelf & can't sell them because according to them they are unreliable :!:

Out of interest, why do you want a bagless one? You will get dusty when you dip the muck into your bin. Is it because you like watching hairs, toenails and dead spiders spinning round?
Yes it is strangely satisfying to see all the dust and dirt spinning around!!! :LOL: More seriously though, I thought bagless cleaners have better suction (or is that just a marketing ploy?).
Alison

Sponsored Links
Don't believe all that marketing rubbish about a bagless cleaner having more suction. It doesn't. My mother has had a Dyson for years and she reckons hers is completely rubbish. It is also a pain in the backside to empty out as well and quite heavy.

I've had old vacuum cleaners for years, in fact I still have a cleaner of my grandfathers which is an old Electrolux cylinder and it still does the job even although it needs a bag. If you can still get the bags for a vacuum cleaner, then stick to a bagged one.

If you are worried about suction then the best way of guaranteeing continual suction on a cleaner is to make sure you empty the bags regularly or use new ones every now and again before the old bag gets full, ensure the filters on it are clean and free of dust and ensure if it is a cylinder that the pipe running from the vacuum cleaner bag section to the end of the pipe is completely clean and there's no lumps of dust, animal hair or general detritus in it.

With an upright, ensure that the roller part on the bottom of the cleaner is free of human hair or string which gets tangled around the roller and stops it working effectively and ensure the bag is emptied regularly and when you use the pipe, you keep that clean.

You won't need a Dyson or bagless anything if you stick to those general rules.

I 'm the engineer in a shop which sells/repairs dozens of vaccuums a week.

Best idea is forget bagless - all cr*p

Best machine - Anything made by Sebo, my recomendation is the X4Extra model.

Never been a fan or Kirbys, to heavy for many people, parts are too expensive, obnoxious salesman that wont leave the house and performance is not too different from other machines.

I've had two dysons, I agree that they are rather fragile beasts, also the claim to no loss of suction is a bit dubious, but their customer service is good. When they are clean and working correctly they're good, but they are a bit high maintenence. Personally think a slight case of style over substance.

its true that a kirby is almost extortionate in purchace price, but divide what you pay for one over its age.

mine is at least 15 years old cost around £800 so divide that = £15 / year you cant buy a new vacuum cleaner that is good for that every year

breezer said:
its true that a kirby is almost extortionate in purchace price, but divide what you pay for one over its age.

mine is at least 15 years old cost around £800 so divide that = £15 / year you cant buy a new vacuum cleaner that is good for that every year

I think £800 divided by 15 is £53

JohnD said:
breezer said:

I think £800 divided by 15 is £53

not with my calculator it isnt :LOL:

yes you a right but my point still stands

no you cant, i'd still rather have a sebo though, lasts as long and only costs £200-£250. Cheaper parts too.
All down to personal preferance in the end.

i agree its down to personal choice, i have only ever had a new fan on mine, oh and new mains lead, fan was only because it had 2 mising fins, lead general worn out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back