please help me

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i want to add a new wall scoket, can i run a cable from a light switch and if so please tell me how i can wire it to the switch.
Thank you

Sponsored Links
I am sure RF lighting meant

belfast ste said:
i want to add a new wall scoket, can i run a cable from a light switch

No

I do not know you so please do not be offended, but judging by your question i suggest you call an electrician in to do the job for you, since we would like to see you alive and well to post again

You could help him out lads, thats what this is all about.

Sockets must be wired from the existing ring main (existing sockets) using a 2.5mm Twin & Earth cable.

You would need to establish if the socket your cutting into is on a ring or a spur, If there is just one cable at the socket you plan on cutting into then its likely its a spur and you should find an alternative socket as you are only supposed to spur once.

When you find a socket with 2 cables you need to check its on the ring, first isolate the supply by removing the fuse switching off the mcb, then disconnect the cables from the socket. Using a multimeter (set on ohms) put one lead of the meter on one of the reds and the other lead on the other red. If this is on the ring then you should get a reading like 0.10 ohm.

If it is on the ring then you can run one 2.5mm twin & earth from this socket to your new socket.

Sponsored Links
fattony said:

sometimes you get the feeling that the person who enquires really has no idea, and as such is incompetant, and even in plain english will not understand.

most people do not own a multimeter, yet they still expect to carry out electrical work.

some do not even know what a dmm is, so no chance with mcb

fattony said:
Sockets must be wired from the existing ring main (existing sockets) using a 2.5mm Twin & Earth cable.
Already this is too much information for this particular poster. I'm a trainee domestic installer, not a qualified electrician, and even I can see the potential danger in suggesting to the OP even that he replace a blown fuse.

Not an attack on the OP or anyone in particular but I always wonder that for every person that at least posts a question similar to this there must be 2 that just go ahead and find out the hard way!

fattony said:
We don't know where this sockets is - what it's for etc? Maybe the OP wants to run a socket to the garden so they can cut the grass?

the_jinj said:
there must be 2 that just go ahead and find out the hard way!
Yup - they're the ones who are too stupid even to use the Internet.

Softus said:
the_jinj said:
there must be 2 that just go ahead and find out the hard way!
Yup - they're the ones who are too stupid even to use the Internet.
Then again maybe the socket they want to install is for their computer so they can connect and ask if the installs ok? ;)

the_jinj said:
Then again maybe the socket they want to install is for their computer so they can connect and ask if the installs ok? ;)
:D

Better toi build one of these though:

img413_362.jpg

Aww, come on lads, you're frightening the poster and at least belfast ste did ask a question instead of doing the job :!:

belfast ste,

If you can give us more information & details what you want to do and what the sockets are for etc, I'm sure they will help you if it's possible or not for you to do ;)

breezer said:
fattony said:

sometimes you get the feeling that the person who enquires really has no idea, and as such is incompetant, and even in plain english will not understand.

most people do not own a multimeter, yet they still expect to carry out electrical work.

some do not even know what a dmm is, so no chance with mcb
what is dmm then?

bondy said:
what is dmm then?

clue: its not a hammer and i am not a carpenter

i have found that its always better to teach people something than tell them

Something to do with pet animals?

Is the first word "Doggy-tail" or something similar?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back