a curious fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a curious fitting on one of the outlet pipes of my power shower. It has no brand name, makers name or any kind of identifying features on it except a flow direction. It is a 15mm plastic tube through which the water flows and inside the tube there is a tiny metal torpedo shaped object. Attached to the tube is a circular box about 7cm diam with an aluminium finned lid showing flow direction. Inside the box is a small circuit board which has two pink wires connected which exit through the lid. Does anyone know what it is, does and where do the wires go? ;)

Sponsored Links
Maybe it's meant to be an electronic scale reducer? As magnetic reducers work by magic and have no scientific basis, the wires probably don't need to go anywhere.

Magnetic scale reducers DO work, to a degree.

Its the electronic ones which are suspect. A few miliamps of current does not produce any significant magnetic field. You would need a current of about 5 amps to produce a similar field to the ceramic permanent magnets.

Tony

Sponsored Links
a quantifiable proof of what you claim (magnetic water softeners) would be appropriate here ...

I said magnetic water conditioners, NOT softeners!

Tony

If it is a flowswitch, where do the wires go? presumably one from the live and the other to the pump but how is it arranged? Is there a special connection box to arrange this? :?:

I plumbed it in without the fitting and the pump works fine without it, :D switching on when I turn the water on and off correspondingly. Unless someone put in 2 flowswitches it's not that. On the circuit board is a reed switch, a resistor and a transistor. :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back