Worcester 24Cdi Pressure gauge problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently taken off one of my rads to do a spot of decorating. When I re-connected it, I topped up the system to about 1 bar whilst cold. After turning on the boiler the bar increased to about 1.5 bar which is to be expected. I checked a couple of days later and the bar had gone up to over 2.5 bar. I ran off some water to get the bar back down but after a day or two the bar keeps on climbing. I have bled all the rads.

Any thoughts what the problem could be. I've taken rads off before and primed the system many times but this time I'm baffled.

Thanks in advance,
Mark.

Sponsored Links
If you have removed the filling loop key then I would imagine the dhw heat exchanger is holed.

How will I know if its got a hole in it. The heat exchanger was replaced about six months ago cos it was leaking on the floor. Could air be a factor. I can hear air around the pump when the heating is on.

Worth checking the pressure in the pressure vessel(see FAQ) but after that, new dhw heat exchanger.

Sponsored Links
Ok how's the pressure checked in the vessell. Is it a big job. I'm pretty capable of most things as long as it does'nt involve the gas.

Thanks again,
Mark.

MarkJayne said:
Ok how's the pressure checked in the vessell. Is it a big job. I'm pretty capable of most things as long as it does'nt involve the gas.

Thanks again,
Mark.

Drain the pressure out of the system and attatch a pressure guage to the valve on the orange / red expansion vessel, if uner 1 bar then pump it up. Won't cause your fault though although it will cause an excessive pressure rise whilst the heating is on.

Ok thanks for that. May seem a daft question, but how does the heat exchanger work, and should the pressure gauge rise when you have'nt got the heating side on but you turn the hot tap on. It does now but I never noticed it before. It moves up nearly Half a bar and then drops when you turn the tap off. Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks guys,
Mark.

Not quite sure what I had i mind when I said check the pressure vessel - but do it anyway when your have the heat exchanger out..!
The pressure gauge sees a higher pressure when the pump is running, which is normal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back