hotpoint wma33 - drum seized

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our hotpoint wma33 drum has seized. We've checked that the motor is able to turn by hand, so is not the problem. When the machine is running the motor is trying to turn the drum, but cannot. When the belt is freed from the motor, the drum still cannot be turned by hand. There is a brown, sticky substance that has run down the outside of the drum casing from the bolt at the center of the drum. Can this be fixed by diy, and if so any ideas on how to proceed.
Thanks,
stobrien

Sponsored Links
its one of two things

sock stuck inbetween drums (honest)

to find out grab any two paddles in the drum and twist the drum in any direction (as if you are now the motor)

bearings

the brown substance is oil /water your bearings are going / gone/ on way out

if its a sock, remove pump and take it out that way

if its bearings new m/c is more economical, unless you know what you are doing and have the right tools

Bearings on a WMA??? Rather have my teeth pulled.
Of course, if it's under 5 years old Hotpoint will replace outer tub and inner drum for around £90 call out.

Thanks for the advice. We can now turn the drum smoothly by hand around 180 degrees before something stops it with a metal on metal sound.
The m/c is nearly six years old. If its the bearings, is it worth fixing?

Sponsored Links
i've repaired loads of wma range machines. If you're handy enough take the whole drum assy out and replace the back half.
Not a job however for the virgin engineer!

Your not wrong! I did my wma about 3 months ago to replace the rear tub and it took me about 6 hours!

Is there an easy way to get the plastic pins with the integral clip that holds the lower supension arms to drum out?

deviant_uk said:
i've repaired loads of wma range machines. If you're handy enough take the whole drum assy out and replace the back half.
Not a job however for the virgin engineer!

at th ebottom of the suspension peg is a little pip sticking out. Push this in with a flat headed driver and pull the other end with a pair if pliers.

Did a WMA drum change last week in under an hour, only cut 2 fingersthis time!

That's what i ended up doing. it took me so long because i was working out what to do as i went, but even i ended up removing what felt like the entire contents of the washing machine casing!

deviant_uk said:
at th ebottom of the suspension peg is a little pip sticking out. Push this in with a flat headed driver and pull the other end with a pair if pliers.

Did a WMA drum change last week in under an hour, only cut 2 fingersthis time!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back